Friday 25 November 2011

Sometimes the Grass Really Is Greener on the Other Side

A while back I set up a little cozy, fall  'scape out on the porch.



A few weeks before creating that little tablescape, I had purchased some real acorns on Amazon.  They were reasonably priced  and perfect for  fall.  (You'll find more pics of this fall tablescape HERE.)



The funny thing is, I have a HUGE oak tree in my front yard.



But for some crazy reason, 99.9% of the acorns it drops look like this.  They almost never still have their little acorn hats attached.  Yep, I have bald acorns in my front yard.  Bald acorns just don't get it for decorating.  The squirrels really enjoy them, though.



A few days ago I walked up to the end of my driveway to fetch the mail and it was like manna from heaven.  All around my mailbox the ground was covered in the prettiest, plumpest acorns you've ever seen.  They looked nothing like the acorns I find under my oak tree.  I looked around trying to figure out from whence this acorn blessing had come.  I decided they had to be from this huge oak tree across the street.



I was so excited!  I picked up as many as I could stuff into my pockets that day.  The next day I went back out with a gallon baggie to collect more. I only found a few more on my side of the road.  I eyed the ones lying in the street and on the sidewalk across the street.  I got brave and decided it was okay to pick up those, too.   While I was outside making like a squirrel and gathering my acorns, my neighbor (owner of this most amazing oak tree) came home.  Her sweet daughter helped me fill up my bag with acorns from the sidewalk.  Aren't they just the cutest things ever?  It's so amazing to me how different acorns can be from one oak tree to the next.  Do you find this amazing or am I just weird? Okay, I'm probably just weird. lol



 Sometimes the grass acorn really is greener prettier on the other side of the fence street.




Do you have an oak tree in your yard? If so, does it drop bald acorns like my oak tree or do you get pretty ones like the ones that fall from my neighbor's tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment