Tuesday 15 November 2011

Kaelah's Cocktail Hour: Bartender Knows Best

Two weeks ago I shared my first cocktail recipe here on Little Chief Honeybee! (Can you believe two weeks have passed already?! Yikes! I'm a little embarrassed for my lack of promptness!) I shared my all-time favorite-drink-ever no-one-makes-it-like-i-do (yes, I'm proud!) New Old Lady recipe! Then I realized, um, ya probably want to know what it looks like! If you're like me, you judge your food and drink heavily on the way it looks. That's simply how it works for me. There aren't many things I'll eat that don't look appetizing (no-bake cookies and pasta bake are my exceptions!). Today I'm going to share with you not one, but five (!!!) fantastic cocktail recipes that I use frequently at my bar (including my newest creation from Saturday night!).


One of the coolest things about bartending is you can just make up recipes. Mix a little of this and a little of that, then come up with a really cool name. It may exist somewhere else by some totally different calling, but it can be your little creation in your little bar (even if your "bar" is just your home or circle of friends!) Here's a rainbow of beverages for your next night out, party, or if you're feeling fancy on a night at home!
Blue Valium
This is a drink we make all too often at our bar. It's a simple two-liquor drink and it tastes pretty darn good! It's a bright blue and it gets a lot of attention. More often than not I have eager patrons coming to the bar asking "What is that blue drink you just made? I want that!" simply because it's pretty. Looks sell in a bar, that's for sure!

The recipe:
1 ounce vodka
1/2 ounce blue curacao
Equal parts sweet 'n sour mix + Sprite
Garnish with a cherry

Liquid Marijuana
This is without a doubt our most popular drink at my bar. It has only since become the favorite this year, but we sell them like hotcakes. It got so crazy trying to pour all of the liquors for each one that we actually started pre-mixing the alcohol so we can do a simple 1.5 oz pour. If you decide to pour each one you'll undoubtedly get more alcohol, so be careful! This one can add up quick and you might be stumbling around! We don't want that!

The recipe:
1/2 ounce Malibu rum
1/2 ounce light rum
1/2 ounce blue curacao
1/2 ounce apple pucker (or melon liqueur)
Equal parts sweet 'n sour mix + pineapple juice
Garnish with a cherry

Peached Whale
This is my newest creation! I came up with it Saturday night at work and boy oh boy... it's good! I polled my Twitter followers for a name and Baily came up with the winner: Peached Whale! It's absolutely perfect for a drink with Malibu and peach schnapps! I actually ended up selling quite a few Saturday night as I told everyone about them! I brought my own passionfruit juice but we might just have to start stocking it! I promise you won't regret this one! Most bars don't have passionfruit juice so this is a great drink to make at home!

The recipe:
1/2 ounce Malibu rum
1/2 ounce Bacardi rum
1/2 ounce peach schnapps
1/2 ounce amaretto
Fill passionfruit juice
Garnish with a cherry (or three!)

Tootie Fruity
We make this one quite a bit at my bar too. It's a great drink that is super easy to make at home. I'm not really a fan of vodka but I know a lot of people are so if you like vodka and fruity drinks (but hate that you always get handed a Sex on the Beach), this is your calling! 

The recipe:
1 ounce vodka
1/2 ounce triple sec
Equal parts grenadine (or cranberry juice!), orange juice, and pineapple juice
Garnish with a cherry

Cape Cod
This is as simple as they come. It really needs no explanation! If you're a no-fuss-or-frills kind of gal, you might really like the Cape Cod!

The recipe:
1.5 ounces vodka
Fill cranberry juice
Garnish with a lime


So now I'm curious... Did any of you try the New Old Ladies I blogged about the first Kaelah's Cocktail Hour?! Did you like them? (If you're ever in Tennessee, stop by my bar! I promise to make them better!) How about these? Think you'll give any of them a go?!

No comments:

Post a Comment