Sunday 27 November 2011

The Wedding Party

The dress, and color, of the bridesmaid dresses
Oooh boy!  This caused some debate Steve and myself.   I had always thought of a small wedding party; maybe four attendants on each side.  But oohh nnoooo.... Steve had such a hard time making up his mind between his Ohio and Arizona friends that we both have 8 attendants, plus 2 more ushers for Steve.  The more I thought about it, the more "okay" I became with this idea of a GIGANTIC wedding party.  I mean, because it's a Catholic ceremony, only the best man and maid of honor will actually be on the alter with us.  Everyone else will be sitting in the first pew.

Steve picked a collection of his friends and family from Ohio and Arizona and chose to have two best men.  I chose friends from middle school, high school, college, and work...all of whom I've met in Arizona.  I know Steve is happy with the guys he's chosen, although I'm sure there's a few more he could have asked...  I'm so thrilled to have the girls I've picked as part of this special day. (For details and pictures, check our website: weddingwire.com/collinshammond

However, my side of the wedding party has recently decreased by 1.  Margo has decided that she no longer wants to be a part of the wedding.  Margo and I have had a "colored" friendship and unfortunately we seem to be going through a rough patch while I'm trying to plan a wedding.  Her reasoning was rather hurtful and I'm not sure I'll even invite her now, but I suppose there's still 5 months before we send out our invitations.

But, I now have 7 bridesmaids and that's the way it will stay.  I couldn't ask for more supportive girls, especially my Maid of Honor, Megan.  A few weeks ago, most of the bridal party met up for dress shopping and lunch.  As I looked around the table, I realized that I will have a great group of women standing up with me.  AND a great group of educated women.  Among the eight of us, everyone has a bachelors degree and four (including me as of 5/12/12) have a second degree after that!  I think that's pretty amazing.

A few weeks ago, Steve and I decided on a color ("clover" green) and Steve ordered the tuxes.  I then met with most of the girls at David's Bridal to choose a dress... and shoes!  I've picked out earrings and a pretty broach (for the belt of the dress) as part of the girls' gifts.  I can't wait to see everything come together!

No comments:

Post a Comment