Friday 14 October 2011

Book Sale: Bring Your Rolling Cart!

So many beautiful table settings were posted for yesterday's Tablescape Thursday. If you haven't had a chance to visit them all, just scroll on down and enjoy! You'll find so much inspiration for fall and fun Halloween tablescapes!

This morning I got up bright and early and did something I've never done before. No, not exercise...that would be way too practical. ;) Well, I did get a little exercise, now that I think about it.

Ever since I added much needed bookcases to my home office, I've been on a quest for books. I've been focusing primarily on Home, Garden, Craft, Art, Decorating/Design books since that's what I've decided to keep on the bookcases, HERE in the office

So early this morning I headed out to a HUGE book sale. Have you ever been to one of these?  This one was held in a large building out at the County Fairgrounds.


As I walked around, I periodically got a slight whiff of cows and chickens...definitely a barnyard smell.   I think I know what that building is used for during fair time each year. lol

I wish I could have taken pictures to show you the crowds and the "gear" folks brought with them. You could tell the seasoned book-sale-goers because they came with crates strapped to rolling luggage carts.  They came with wagons.  They even brought suitcases...the kinds that have wheels.  Yep, these guys were ready to do some serious book buying.  I wonder if they are the folks we buy our used books from on eBay and Amazon?  Ummm.  I came with just a book buying spirit and two strong arms.  Rookie!

The prices were amazing, as you can see from the price list below.



The Home/Garden and Art sections were extremely popular.  You won't believe how passionate folks can be at book sales!  One guy stationed himself in front of the art books section with a huge box and would NOT let anyone else get near them. :(   So needless to say, I didn't come home with any art books.

I bought all hardback books, except for one paperback.  So all the books you see below costs $1.50 each, except for the last book in this post, which was a $1 since it was a paperback.

I was pretty sure I already had the Blue and White Rooms book (and I did) but for a $1.50 I bought it again to put in the guest room which is decorated mostly in Blue and White.  The Small Period Gardens book might come in handy if one day I move into a charming, yellow cottage that needs an English cottage garden.  Gotta plan ahead.  ;)



Can't wait to dig into these books.  The Art of Accessorizing had some gorgeous pics.  I bought Atlanta at Home so I could get a glimpse into those Atlanta homes I drive by periodically.  Yep, I'm nosey...at least house nosey.



I love to collect "reference" books on china...big surprise, right?     The other two books were filled with gorgeous, drool worthy interiors.   You can't buy a good magazine for $1.50!



I was thrilled to find a Barbara Milo Ohrbach book.  I have several of her books and they are always wonderful.  I even found a Charlotte Moss book I didn't have!  I flipped through the Martha Stewart, Good Things and it had a lot of neat looking craft projects.  I almost left it behind, but in the end I couldn't put it back.



This was the only paperback book I bought.  It covers the beautiful work of the architect, John Soane.  The drawings inside were amazing!


I spent a total of $20 for all of these books, including one I bought for a friend.  I think it's safe to say, I'm now officially hooked on book sales.

If you enjoy decorating books, you'll love THIS post where I shared my addiction, obsession love of decorating books.

Been to any good book sales lately?  What is your strategy when you go?  Do you take rolling carts and such?  I think I may next time around.

Psst:  Don't forget about the awesome $250 Shopping Spree Giveaway from HomeGoods.  Leave a comment on the Giveaway post  to be entered.

Related links in this post:
My small (but growing) office library
Favorite Decorating and Design Books
Blue and White Guest Room
$250 HomeGoods Shopping Spree

No comments:

Post a Comment