Friday 28 October 2011

Kaelah's Cocktail Hour: New Old Lady

I've been bartending for over 5 and a half years now (holy crap!) so it goes without saying that I've found certain drinks to be my favorite to make and consume. I decided to start a new feature here on LCH sharing some of my absolute favorite cocktails from my bar. Some originated there. Some originated from me. Some came from goodness knows where but made an impression at my little bar. But they have one thing in common: they're all delicious. I'm biased to a few and this first one I'm sharing is my all time favorite. I might as well not drink anything else because 99% of the time, it's a New Old Lady.

In my 5+ years I have never had a single person tell me they didn't like the NOL when I suggest it. I get a lot of customers who have no idea what they want and this is always my first suggestion. It's kind of my baby!

Below you'll find the illustrated (and very simplistic) recipe, and I'll include ways to change it up to suit your mood underneath! 

For everyone afraid of taking a "recipe" to a bartender, worried that they'll roll their eyes at you and tell you they can't make it, don't be scared! I love when customers bring me new recipes and I love sharing my concoctions with other bartenders! Other bartenders (or you!) may recognize some of the drinks I feature by a different name, and that's all well and good! Every place tends to call it by a different name, and every bar may mix a Sex on the Beach differently! We don't actually abide by a little black book of recipes so don't be alarmed if I share something you think is wrong... it's just how we do it! Enjoy! (Click on the image below to see it full size!)


Ways to mix it up:
+ Add a splash of Sprite and/or pineapple juice. This is especially tasty if you serve it on ice as a drink!
+ Like the subtext reads, do equal parts whiskey and schnapps if you want to ease your way into it.
+ Add a tiny splash of grenadine for a fruity kick.

Most bartenders will understand what you mean when you say "one parts" and "two parts" and "splash"... but if you want to make it at home and you have no idea what that means, think of all alcohol equaling 1.5 ounces (2 or 2.5 if you're feeling wild!). 3 parts of 1.5 oz would be .5 oz each. 1 oz whiskey and .5 oz peach schnapps. I don't actually measure this as I've grown accustomed to just knowing when to pour/stop, but if you have a jig on your liquor, start to pour it and count to five fairly quickly. That is roughly between 1 and 1.5 oz. I tend to say counting to 3 is half an ounce but that's fudging it a bit! (ex: count to 5 quickly for the whiskey and count to 3 for the schnapps!) Okay, I may tend to give a wee bit more alcohol than the recipe calls for but oh well! If you're mixing it at home you can mix to taste so don't sweat it too much! If it's too strong you can always dilute it a bit with sweet ' sour mix. Be careful if you're prone to heartburn as the sweet 'n sour might set it off!

New Old Lady is without a doubt my favorite drink so if you find yourself craving something new when you're out and about (or even at home), give it a try! Let me know if you decide to try it and what you think! It's absolutely yummy! xo

What's your favorite cocktail to have when you go out?

PS; I'll also be sure to include some mock-tail recipes for all of you readers who are underage or choose not to drink alcohol! I can't leave you out! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment