Tuesday 23 August 2011

Hooked on IKEA

Ikea isn't a store, it's an adventure!  Recently, I mentioned on the BNOTP Facebook page that a friend and I were going shopping at the IKEA store in Atlanta the following day.  I had never been before, despite living only 20 minutes away.  I knew from the comments on Facebook, this was definitely not just another store.



To start with it's GIGANTIC...like stacking two big box stores on top of each other...only bigger. Way bigger. You need a compass, hiking boots and a sack lunch. A cell phone might be in order too, for when you get lost and need to be rescued.

I have to be honest, I wasn't prepared to really like IKEA. I knew almost nothing about this store other than the furniture I had seen on other sites just wasn't quite my cup of tea. But there's just so much more in IKEA than furniture. And the prices are good. I mean, really good.

I got a little carried away and forgot to take pics of a lot of the things I most liked...like all the baskets and kitchen storage stuff.  But I do have quite a few to share today.

Throughout much of the store they have "rooms" set up to show you how you can live in a small space and live well.  Their current catalog says, "A home doesn't need to be big, just smart."  Not sure if that's their motto, but the whole store seems to be a study on how to live efficiently, as well as comfortably.  If you live in New York City or any large city where apartments are tiny and expensive, IKEA is probably a place you love to shop.  Though I don't live in a small space, I'm an organization freak, so I was reveling in the way they pack so much living into such a small space.



This picture looks like a collage of three pics, doesn't it?  It's not, though.  This is just the way the "room" was designed and sectioned off.



This is one of their most popular light fixtures.  I've seen it on quite a few blogs.  It's called the Maskros Pendant Lamp.  It creates beautiful designs on the ceiling and is amazing to see in person.




Much of what you buy in IKEA needs to be assembled once you get back home, including this light.  But their assembly instructions are the best I've ever seen...all pictures and no words.  I didn't buy this light, but I did buy some thing(s) that needed some serious assembling. I'll be posting about those real soon.



This was one of the few "rooms" that felt a bit more traditional.





Check out some of these kitchens...a few felt almost futuristic.









This is what I pictured when I thought of Ikea...a bit modern for my taste.  But truly, there's just so much more.



Lots and lots of dishes.  Actually, there's just LOTS of everything. Period.  My friend told me they carry the same stuff all year long; it only changes once a year.  Weird, huh?  Wonder if they add in any holiday stuff around Christmas?  Guess I'll just be forced to go back to see for myself. ;)



I kind of liked this whimsical clock.  It has a very traditional, antique clock shape, and yet it is anything but traditional.  It looks like it should be a clock in the UP house, doesn't it? lol



I loved this gallery wall!  It reminded me so much of the wall(s) Sherry and John have created at Young House Love, HERE.



This pillow seems to be the IKEA pillow.  It's called Alvine Flora and you see them all over the store...on both levels.  They had a gazillion of these pillows in the Atlanta store.  Really!  I counted and there were a gazillion.  It's embroidered on front and has a pretty striped fabric on back with decorative buttons.  Cute!



There are a gazillion minus two, now...because I bought two pillows to use on the porch swing HERE during the summer months.  I still love the now slightly-faded pillows that live on the swing all summer, but I knew I'd need to replace them eventually and the colors were so perfect for the porch.  They have down inserts, are large and were only $19.99 each. Did I mention the prices are really good?  A pillow like this at many stores would have been triple that price.



Check out this bed.  Take a close look at the duvet cover.  Does it remind you of anything?



One more view...



Here's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.  Remember this scene from the movie, "It's Complicated" with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin? (I posted a tour of two houses in It's Complicated, HERE and HERE.)  I don't think the duvet covers are exactly the same, but they are really close, aren't they?  Wonder if the one in the movie was just a slightly different version that was available the year the movie was made.



Have you ever been to IKEA? Were you skeptical at first, like me...but then loved it?  What's your most favorite thing/item you have ever purchased there?  Did you eat the Swedish meatballs on your visit?  They feed you because otherwise you would "fall out" somewhere between the dish towels and the Billy shelves. ;)

Pssst:  I've been doing a little organizing here at BNOTP.  Click on the Renovations♦Tutorials header category and you'll find all those posts categorized by "room" now.

Lots of great "Before and Afters" were linked for yesterday's Met Monday.  Have fun checking them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment