Saturday 20 August 2011

Chaos, Progress and Mario Buatta

Today my house is completely topsy turvy. If you rang my door bell and I invited you in, you'd be here for about 30 seconds before you would suddenly remember you had a pressing engagement elsewhere.  And I wouldn't blame you, I'd run, too.  But I live here.



You know how something prays on your mind...something you've been putting off.  The weekends are filled with friends and activities, places to go and things to do.  But then a weekend arrives, and you know.  You know there are no more excuses...time to get down to it.





The office closet is finally getting painted,




As is the crown molding...



And the new baseboard and quarter round that was added when the hardwood flooring was installed.




With this new resolve and temporary burst of insanity energy, I decided to just make things as crazy and chaotic as possible, and paint the hall linen closet, too.



It's even getting new shelves...more on that later.



The office (Sewcroff) has some new additions (I'll share those soon) and they have me in a book ordering mood.  Today on a lark, I decided to look again to see if Mario Buatta had ever written a book.  I love Mario and not just for his decorating/design work but also for his sense of humor and for being a true gentleman.   Once before, while doing a search for any books he had written, I found a You Tube video where he had been interviewed many, many years ago.  The woman who was interviewing him seemed hostile at times, asking questions of Mr. Buatta that almost sounded like he had committed a crime and was being grilled for answers.

I was so impressed because never once did he show any irritation or lose his cool.  He was a complete gentleman.  I already loved his design work, but that day I knew I really liked the man, too.  So today, I looked once more.  Surely Mario has written at least one measly little book I could happily add to my new bookshelves.



Again, I was unable to find even one book on his amazing career and work.  I only found two books where he had written the introduction or foreward.  One of those I already own...the other has been ordered.

But I did come across this delightful interview in the Home and Garden section of The New York Times.  I'm happy to say, Mr. Buatta's sense of humor is still beautifully intact.  And he loves one of my favorite magazines, Garden and Gun!  Ha!  Who knew?

Now, please Mr. Buatta...won't you write a book for your loyal and book obsessed friends?  Pleeease?

No comments:

Post a Comment