Sunday 3 July 2011

Patriotic Porch for the 4th of July! Welcome to the 128th Metamorphosis Monday!

Happy Independence Day weekend! Hope your weekend has been going great! I'm having a little cookout tomorrow so I've been busy with preparations. Did you already have your 4th of July celebration or will you be celebrating tomorrow?

I'm excited to share big changes I've made out on the porch over the last week. I've been busting to decorate the porch in a patriotic vibe for the 4th of July ever since the porch was first added to my home 3-4 years ago. I wanted to do it in a budget friendly manner and up until this year, I hadn't been able to find what I needed to stay within the budget I had planned. This summer the stars all aligned (figuratively and literally) and the porch got a make-over for the holiday.

Hope you enjoy this transformation of the porch in celebration of Independence Day.

The Before:





After:



Happy Independence Day!



This porch metamorphosis was done on a budget--total cost was just $155.00 for the complete transformation. Not too bad for a whole room redo. I'll break it down for you as we move through the changes.




Remember that little sewing project I mentioned I was working on? I made red covers for the pillows that are always on the swing throughout the summer months.



The blue and white spatterware pitcher was pulled from the upstairs family room. I filled it with big, beautiful sunflowers. This pitcher is very old so it leaks. I'll share the sneaky way I used if for the sunflowers in another post. Update: Shared how I used sunflowers in this vintage pitcher HERE.





Sunflowers were only $6 for the whole bunch from Harry's Farmer's Market.





Found the needlepoint flag pillow a couple of months back on eBay for $14.



Remember when I posted about making blue and white striped cording HERE? Now you know where it ended up. ;) I used the pillows that live on the swing during the summer, and just sewed new red covers. Only cost was for the fabric and the raw cording.



The red, white and blue patch-work pillows in the white wicker chairs are what really inspired and kicked off this porch transformation. I had a gift certificate for HomeGoods and when I spotted those pillows in the spring, I just loved them and knew I had the starting point for my 4th of July porch. (Tutorial for the patriotic "sundae" by the lamp can be found HERE.)


I really lucked out on the white seat cushions for the swing and settee. When I bought those exact same cushions in green for the porch 3-4 years ago, I thought I did really well finding them on sale for $40 each at Pier 1. They are normally $60 each. They are heavy, super comfortable and beautifully made with a great fabric that isn't scratchy feeling like most outdoor cushions. I really like how they are tailored and finished with cording.

This year, after finding the patch-work pillows at HomeGoods, I came across the white cushions at Pier 1 and they were marked down from $60 to $15 each! I couldn't believe it! Even the sales clerk was shocked when she rang them up. She looked at me and asked, "$15???" I smiled and said, "Yep." That's when I knew the porch metamorphosis was definitely on for this year!



I already had the large striped pillows. They are the same ones I use on the swing in the fall, but just turned around to show the other side. The small red pillow is from Garden Ridge and was $6. I already had the needlepoint pillow with the harbor/patriotic scene...snagged it from the window seat in the upstairs family room.



I paid more for the smaller red chair cushions than I did the big white ones from Pier 1. They were the only solid red ones I could find and were $19 each from Garden Ridge.


I love how the sunflowers look surrounded in a sea of red, white and blue. The other plants are from the deck. The red geranium that normally lives on the shabby, white chair wasn't blooming. Fortunately, another one I had that is a deeper burgundy-ish red was blooming. The lanterns you see scattered around on the porch came from Old Time Pottery a year or two back. You may remember when I used them in THIS 4th of July table setting.



I challenged myself to keep the color scheme on the porch strictly red, white and blue. The only items on the porch that are not in the red/white/blue color scheme are the sunflowers and the hutch. And y'all, I'm just not repainting that hutch for the weekend. ;) If you would like to see pics of the original painting of the hutch, you'll find that HERE. (Oops, add to that the cushions on the chairs around the table. Ummm, maybe next year I'll sew some covers for those.)



Plate is from Hobby Lobby and was 50% off. I actually bought it earlier in the season before I knew I'd be re-doing the porch. I had planned to place it on the counter in the kitchen where I do the little plate switch-a-roo I posted about HERE.



Stars were added to the Summer Breeze sign that's always on the porch. You can find a sign just like this by Googling "Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine Sign." I found mine years ago at A Classy Flea, a local antique/thrift store.



This tablescape is a blend of two previous tablescapes posted for different Tablescape Thursdays HERE and HERE. You'll find the tutorial for the patriotic napkin rings HERE.




Yesterday, I constructed the flag out of wood "sign" stakes from the Home Depot. A bundle was only $5.98. I painted the flag with acrylic paint from Michael's. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to "age" it, or leave it, as is. I wanted to let the paint cure before I did anything. I was inspired by a flag I saw in the Pottery Barn catalog for $129.




Mine isn't as big as the PB one, but it only cost $14 to make. Well, $14 and one whole days worth of labor.  Totally worth it, though.


The hutch was decked out with the china I used in THIS patriotic tablescape.



The little teddy bear was one of my son's when he was small. I couldn't resist adding him to the porch since he is dressed for the holiday.



I'll be happy to post a tutorial showing how I made the flag, if anyone is interested. Just leave a comment letting me know if that is something you would like to see. I took pics during the making of it in case it was something you would be interested in. Update: Flag making tutorial can be found HERE.



The large star on the wall near the swing came from Garden Ridge and was $20. Actually it was a little less than that but I'm rounding all the prices up for simplicity.





An evening view...







Hope you enjoyed this patriotic porch metamorphosis.



Here's the budget breakdown:

White seat cushions for swing and sette: Pier 1, $30 ($15 each)
Red seat cushions in chairs: Garden Ridge, $40($20 each)
Needlepoint "flag" pillow on swing: eBay, $14
Large red pillows on swing: I made, $12
Multicolored pillows on chairs: HomeGoods, Free with Gift Certificate
Small red pillow on settee: Garden Ridge $6
Needlepoint "harbor scene" pillow on sette: already had in upstairs family room
Lanterns: Old Time Pottery, already had
Large Star on wall: Garden Ridge, $20
Small stars on Summer Breeze sign: Michaels, $3 for both at 50% off
Wood flag above hutch: I made on Saturday, $14
Large plate on oval wicker table: Hobby Lobby, $10 at 50% off
China on table: (Already had) Click HERE and HERE for details
Flowers: Harry's Farmer's Market, $6
China and decorations on hutch and table: Already had
Total spent: $155

Looking forward to seeing what you've been up to this week!



Metamorphosis Monday:
If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday you will need to link up the permalink to your MM post and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top of your blog, into the "url" box for InLinkz.

If you'd like to include the MM button in your post, just copy and paste the Met Monday button to your computer or grab the html code from underneath the MM logo under the "Join a Blog Party" header at the top of this blog.

In order to link up, you'll need to include a link in your MM post back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch so your regular readers will be able to find the Met Monday party which ensures your friends and fellow bloggers will receive lots of visits, too. Isn't that what a party is all about? :)

PLEASE DO NOT type in all caps...it spreads the links waaaay out. Thanks! :-)

Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course. :-)


Welcome! Thanks for coming to the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment