Friday 29 July 2011

A "Something's Gotta Give" Table

So many beautiful table settings posted for yesterday's Tablescape Thursday! If you haven't had a chance, yet, you'll want to scroll down or click HERE to view them. So much inspiration!

The Tale of a Table
Not so very long ago, I was a woman on a mission.  My sewing room/craft room/office  (Sewcroff) was gradually moving closer to being completed.



But I still needed a small chest to go along side the chair in my little reading corner.


 I searched through every thrift/antique store in my area and when I couldn't find the chest I had envisioned in my head, (why do I do that to myself?!) I gave up and began looking for a round table, instead.

Once I gave up the dream of a chest and decided to just go with a table, by golly I wanted that table to be special.  I found my inspiration in the movie, Something's Gotta Give.   Do you remember seeing this cute table in the bedroom of the main character, Erica Barry, when I shared a tour of this wonderful movie house,  HERE?   The whimsical design and the tassel apron caught my eye.  It had such a playful personality and as you can tell from THIS post, I like furniture with personality.



After searching online A LOT, I was never able to find the exact table seen in Erica's bedroom.  However, I did find several tables with the same fanciful spirit.  They were all priced a bit higher than my office budget allowed, but I thought it would be fun to share all the ones I bookmarked with you.  Maybe one will steal your heart.

This table probably comes the closest in style to the Something's Gotta Give table. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I spotted it online.  If someone knows, let me know and I'll add it to the post.  I don't think it's the exact same table, but it's pretty close, isn't it?  I'm not too crazy about the tassels on the center column/pedestal.  I don't believe the Something's Gotta Give table has those.

The "French Fleur Table" from Cottage Chic also reminded me of the table in Erica's bedroom.   Cute table!



Loved the apron on this Cottage Table from Carolina Accents.  Don't these tables make you never want a plain, round, boring table ever again?  Or, is it just me and I'm weird?  On second thought...don't answer that!



The Mendocino Nightstand from Cottage Chic had the right vibe with its whimsical-styled apron, but the shape and height wasn't quite right for my reading corner.  I do love the style of this table, though, especially the legs and the apron.  It almost looks like it belongs in the Alice in Wonderland movie, doesn't it? :)



Though this one didn't quite have the Something's Gotta Give look, it was still a cutie I considered:

Foyer Table in Distressed Cottage White from Butler on Amazon



And finally, this metal table caught my eye with its scalloped apron:

"Metal Table with Scalloped Apron Edge & Scrolled Trestle Legs" from Vintage Accents:



What did I choose?  If you've been reading BNOTP for very long, you already know the answer and can skip the next part of this post. :)  I eventually ordered this table in white from Pottery Barn Teen.  It had the whimsy factor going on and the price was definitely right at only $99.



Here's how it looked beside my chair the day it arrived.  Try to imagine it with a cute lamp and a few books:  Not bad, huh?  But guess what?



The day after the Pottery Barn table arrived, I found the chest I had so long been seeking on a trip to Pier 1 for napkin rings. :)  Figures.   Murphy's Law is always at work in this house!



After carrying the cute Pottery Barn table from room to room to porch to room, I finally had to face the fact, I just didn't need it despite how cute it was. So I sadly returned it. Hope I don't regret that one day.



Here's a more recent pic with the dress form in this room.


Have you ever had that happen...search high and low for something, give up, buy something else and then find what you really wanted a day or two later?

So, what did you think about the tables in this post?  That first one really looks a lot like the table in Something's Gotta Give, doesn't it?

Update:  Joni (Cote de Texas) knew where to find the table.  It's online at Rose Tarlow, HERE.  It's the Nantucket Side Table.  Thanks, Joni!


You'll find the Something's Gotta Give movie house tour, HERE.  Be sure to stop back by Saturday morning because I'm working on another movie house tour I think you'll enjoy!  :)

Psssst:  French Bleu Vintage is having a fabulous giveaway.  You can enter the giveaway HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment