Wednesday 15 June 2011

Celebrating the 4th of July: Welcome to the 147th Tablescape Thursday!

Happy Tablescape Thursday! I've been working on a couple of 4th of July table settings and having the best time! A table setting for Independence Day is so much fun to put together since it's all about celebration and love for our country.


Time to break out the Red, White and Blue!

This table setting is similar to one I put together HERE a couple of years back, but with some fun changes and a few new twists. (Click on any picture to ENLARGE it, two clicks will REALLY enlarge it. Just click the "back" arrow to return because clicking"x" will close the post.)



The centerpiece was an easy one to make. I used a tall, metal container I already had and filled it about half way up with kitty litter. I added lots of pinwheels, all sizes and heights, along with a silver star. I tied a wide red, white and blue, grosgrain ribbon around the container for a final touch.



It just dawned on me...wouldn't it be fun to tuck some of those tall, skinny fireworks in among the pinwheels. Ummm, filing that idea away for next year. ;)



The breezes on the porch had some of the pinwheels spinning like crazy.









I've been itching to use the little lawn chair votive candle holders as cupcake holders again like I did in THIS past 4th of July tablescape in 2009.



This time around, instead of topping the cupcakes off with flags, I added a little excitement with fireworks!





The icing was made using a recipe my Mother-in-Law always made for her coconut cake. You'll find the recipe for this yummy Seven Minute Icing HERE.





I wanted to keep this table setting casual, so no chargers. I also wanted to keep it airy and open so the bright colors would contrast against the white of the table.



Sometimes I don't like to explain my "thinking" behind a table setting. It feels like it distracts from the enjoyment of seeing it. lol But, it occurred to me, you might like to know why I made some of the choices I did for this table setting.



This is a very inexpensive tablescape to create. The white Gibson china was only $29.99 from Big Lots for six, 6-pc place settings. (I'm only using the dinner plates from that huge set in this tablescape.) The salads were $2.99 each from HomeGoods. The glassware works out to be .66 cents each since the Ball canning jars are $7.99 a dozen. The flatware was around $25 from either Tuesday Morning or Marshalls. Napkins are hand towels from Dollar Tree, so only $1 each. The pinwheels were all very inexpensive, including the little ones on the glasses that were just 3 for $1. This year, I already had everything except the ribbon, soda, ice cube trays and a few of the pinwheels. By mixing and matching, you can create a "new" 4th of July table setting each year without breaking the ole budget. Save your money for the good stuff...the FOOD! :)




The Ball "crystal stemware" ;) was perfect for this playful 4th of July table setting.




I added a bit of ribbon around the top, along with colorful mints and pinwheels for some extra fun. If you don't want to use the little mints, you could add almost any type patriotic trinket to the ribbon...stars would be cute. I used three different patterns of ribbon: red with stars; red, white and blue with stars and red gingham. I couldn't make up my mind which I liked best, so I just used them all.



What better for our Red, White and Blue celebration than Blueberry Soda! :)



I tucked raspberries and blueberries into star shaped ice cube trays



In the past I've used flowers like lavender and dianthus as seen in THIS post, but today's table setting called for red, white and blue. You can see the star shape looking down into the glass.



I love how the fruit looks down inside the glasses.



It looks especially pretty through the frosty sides of the glass.



The fruit-filled, star-shaped, ice cubes would be great with lemonade. You would still be able to see the cubes more clearly with lemonade. Just thinking out loud. ;)



A view down the length of the table...



It's beginning to get dark, time for a little candlelight.









Do you have special plans for the 4th? Cooking out? Going to the lake? Hanging out around the pool? I'd love to hear what you'll be up to this Independence Day.



Looking forward to seeing all the beautiful tablescapes linked for this Tablescape Thursday!


To view additional 4th of July tablescapes click on the heading "Holiday" at the top of this blog and scroll down OR click HERE and HERE.

Resources:
Dinner Plates: Gibson china, Big Lots, 2-3 years ago
Red Salad Plates: Marshalls, 2-3 years ago
Glassware: Ball Canning Jars, Walmart, this year
Flatware: Hampton, Tuesday Morning, 2-3 years ago
Napkins: Handtowels from Dollar Tree, 2-3 years ago
Chair Votive Holders used as Cupcake Servers: Ole Time Pottery, 2-3 years ago
Pinwheels and Mints: Hobby Lobby, some from a few years ago, the little ones purchased this year
Ribbon: Michaels and Hobby Lobby
Blueberry Soda: TJ Maxx
Star Ice Cube Trays: Michaels, this year. I saw them at Dollar Tree recently, too.



Please Read:
If you are participating in Tablescape Thursday, please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top, into the "url" box for the picture linky.

To use the Tablescape Thursday logo button in your post, just copy and paste it to your computer and upload it to your post as you would any photo. Or, just grab the html code you'll find under the "Join a Party" heading at the top of this blog.

Please, link back to the party so your regular readers will find all your fellow blogger's tablescapes, too. :)

Please, don't add your post name/blog name in ALL CAPS...it tends to create big spaces between the rows of links. Thanks!

Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course. :-)


Welcome! Thanks for coming to the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment