Wednesday 2 March 2011

Shop Vintage and Save $$$

Though, I've finally found a product that actually works to remove wallpaper (YAY!) I've been taking a little break this past week. Instead of stripping wallpaper, I've been indulging in the fun part of building a home office...the furnishing/decorating. I don't buy a lot of furniture these days, but starting a room from scratch has had me doing my part to boost the economy. I normally prefer old or vintage furniture. I love the character and history of the older pieces, warts and all. But when it came to a desk, I wanted something a bit more modern and super functional, so I went with new.

Other than the desk and an upholstered chair I purchased recently at Pier 1, I'm hoping to find vintage pieces to complete the office, if possible. This past weekend, I did a little shopping for a round accent or side table to go beside my new chair. I stopped by A Classy Flea and though I didn't find what I needed on this trip, I took some pics to share with you. After all, antiquing is lots more fun when done with a friend. :)

I took so many pics, I've divided them between two posts. I'll share the rest in a few days. In the meantime, let's go antiquing!

Beautiful Cherry Sideboard with mirror: $395




I love the look of this old vintage chair. The toile upholstery was in rough shape...it would need to be reupholstered. I think if I purchased this piece, I'd try to upholster it in something very similar to its current fabric. Don't you just love the shape of this chair?


Vintage Wing Chair: $119




Set of 4 Mahogany Chairs: $199 These were a little beat up but really pretty. Don't you love the fabric on the seat. Ummm, wonder if these came from the same house as the wing back chair?




Spring is fast approaching. Here's a great wicker swing...perfect for a screened-in porch: $99




Lots of salt cellars: $3 each




Beautiful Walnut Server: $899




Antique mantel: $350




I've never seen anything quite like this old Victorian box...






It appears to be a manicure kit: $59





A Classy Flea is where I found my "Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine" sign that's out on the screened-in porch. You can see that sign HERE and you can also buy them online, HERE.




Hammock for those lazy summer days: $69




Love these old vintage gowns. When I see old dresses like this, I can't help but wonder who wore them and if they were excited about their new gown?




Another vintage dress...




Here's a great example of why I prefer to buy vintage pieces. This side table below is available at the Ballard Designs website right now for $499.




Or, you could buy these side tables at A Classy Flea for only $65 for both, and paint them antique white or any color you would like. They were in good shape so they could even be left, as is. The style is so similar to the Ballard Designs table, don't you think? Actually, I like them better because they have a larger/deeper drawer. You could store books in there or a big box of tissues.




Hope you enjoyed our outing to A Classy Flea. See you tonight for Tablescape Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment