Thursday 31 March 2011

The Real Villa Under the Tuscan Sun: Villa Laura

Have you had a chance to visit the beautiful table settings linked for yesterday's Tablescape Thursday? I had so much fun clicking on all the links yesterday. I wish I could leave a comment at every single blog and tablescape I visited, but unfortunately that would take about 12 hours. I'm afraid my comments would be the ravings of a crazy nut if I left comments for 12 hours. ;) But please know I do visit as many as I can each week, even if I don't get a chance to leave a comment.

A few weeks ago we toured the beautiful old villa used in the filming of the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun. (You can view that post HERE.) When I was doing a little research for that post, I discovered the villa in the movie wasn't the actual villa bought by the author of the book by the same title. Frances Mayes, the author who wrote the book upon which the movie was based, bought Bramasole pictured below.




The movie was actually filmed in another villa in Italy, Villa Laura.




In 2006 Villa Laura was sold and the new owners completed a full restoration of the property.




Let's take a look at how Villa Laura looks now after its restoration/renovation. It's still very beautiful.




It appears this beautiful arched doorway will take us into the living room...







I am guessing the above room is this room in the movie below. Look closely and you can see the floor is tiled in the movie, too.




The current kitchen in Villa Laura:




Beautiful!




Here's a view of the kitchen in the movie. Quite different isn't it? I believe I like the stove after the restoration a lot better. ;)




The current dining room in Villa Laura:




And here's a view into the dining room in the movie. At one point during the movie, while the restoration was going on, they were eating off a table made of lumber/boards.




Here's a little view of some of the bedrooms from the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun.







And here are two of the bedrooms in Villa Laura today. Aren't the terracotta floors beautiful?! According to the information at the Villa Laura website, all the tile was removed, cleaned and re-installed. Can you imagine? That's a true labor of love.




If you're traveling to Italy, you can actually stay in Villa Laura. It is 6,000 sq. ft. spanning over three floors. It will sleep ten. You'll find more information at this website, HERE.




This was the only bathroom we were able to see in the movie.




Here's a bathroom in Villa Laura today. I wonder if this is the same bath as the one pictured above. The window looks similar.




The photo below was also on the Villa Laura site. It is a view of a "neighboring castle" and you can see it from a window at Villa Laura. Now, how often do you get to look out a window and spy a "neighboring castle?" :) Love it!

Click HERE for a full tour of Villa Laura as it was in the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun.



All photos of the restored Villa Laura are from Villa Vacations, HERE.

You'll find additional Movie House Tours HERE OR click on any picture link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment