Monday 8 November 2010

Party Planning: Preparing Your Home for the Big Day

As we continue our Holiday Party Planning week here at BNOTP, if you haven't already, you may want to read the first post about preparing/sending invitations for your party.

Start Early and Have a Plan:
Today we are on to another step in getting ready for the party...preparing our home for the big day. I wish I could just tell you to click your heels together three times like Dorothy...or maybe wiggle your nose like Samantha, and your house would be all clean, decorated and ready for your upcoming party. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. So what's the secret? It's really simple...start early and have a plan.

I'm a big "list maker" from way back. It's an automatic stress reliever for me and makes me feel a bit more in control when I have it all down in black and white. I know it can be a bit overwhelming when you stop to think about what you need to do to get ready for a party, but once you have it down on paper, you're in charge and you can create a plan of attack.

Disclaimer: If I'm having a few good friends over for dinner, I don't prepare this way. In fact, they are lucky if I vacuum the downstairs. :) But when I'm having a big party (or at least big to me) of 20-40 people coming to my home, I want things to be in tip-top shape. Take from this post what you can use and discard the rest. Remember, the most important thing is to enjoy this life and take time to share it with those you care about...your friends and your family. As the old saying goes...this ain't no dress rehearsal! ;)


Schedules Below are Written As If You Will Have No One Assisting You With the Preparation:
As I jotted down this cleaning/preparation schedule, I imagined I was creating it for someone who works full-time and will be doing all the preparations for the party alone each evening after work and on weekends.

If you do not work full-time and/or you will have someone to assist you (older children, a spouse, a housekeeper) you are way ahead of the game and may not need to start preparing as far in advance as I've recommended. Although, it certainly makes it easier as you approach the party date if you've gotten a lot of stuff done ahead of time...help or no help. :)

I'm sure I have left off some things or your situation may be different. You may need to add or subtract some items from these list.


(Just right click on each schedule below and select "Save" to save them to your computer to print out or refer to later.)

Four Weeks Out:



Three Weeks Out:



Two Weeks Out:



One Week Out:



2-3 Days Before Party:



Day Before Party:



Day of Party:



1 Hour Before Guests Arrive:


As we continue our Holiday Party Planning week here at BNOTP, if you haven't already, you may want to read the first post about preparing/sending invitations for your party.

Up Next: Day 3
Either Decorating Ideas and A Fun Gift Exchange Activity...OR...Recipes/Serving Ideas...not sure which it will be just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment