Tuesday 24 May 2011

Wormsloe

I've been to Savannah, Georgia many times over the years. Each time I've visited this historic city, when it came time to leave and head back home, I always thought, "Fiddlesticks! I did it again!" I came all the way to Savannah and didn't find that awesome road...the one with the arching trees overhead. I was always so disappointed and mad at myself that I kept forgetting to ask where it was and how to get there. Do you know the one I'm talking about? You always see it in lots of magazines.

Well, I finally got there. I just spent three wonderful days in beautiful Savannah and this time, I tracked down THE ROAD.

It turns out the wonderful, mysterious road is called Oak Avenue and it's located on the grounds of Wormsloe, now a Georgia State Park.



I left all the pics in this post nice and large so you could click on them to enlarge them even more. Here's the brochure you're given when you visit Wormsloe and it explains the history of this place.



Oak Avenue is a long, straight road, lined with four-hundred (400) Live Oaks. It is 1.5 miles long and it's beautiful, mysterious, eerie, enchanting, magical and a must see if you're ever in Savannah. I took this first pic near the entrance after 3 cars had just left. I loved the mysterious feel of the avenue with the dust from the cars still lingering in the air.



I drove slowly down Oak Avenue, stopping 3-4 times to take pictures. Toward the end, the grass fades out due to the heavy shade and the Spanish moss is really thick in the trees. Hope you enjoy this stroll down Oak Avenue.





Click on this pic to ENLARGE it for the full effect of driving under all these beautiful oaks dripping in Spanish moss.





Have you ever visited Wormsloe? If you're headed to Savannah anytime soon, I recommend you take time to go. It's just a hop, skip and a jump from Historic Bonaventure Cemetery so you can see both while you're there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment