Tuesday 18 January 2011

What Kind of Bird is This?

Last January 13th, 2010, I posted this tablescape below, and in the midst of taking pics...




Something large came to call in the trees out back. I took a quick pic through the glass of the bay window, but before I could get a better photo, he was gone.




I was pretty sure he/she was hawk, but had no idea what kind. A couple of readers said he looked like a Red-tailed Hawk, also known as a Chicken Hawk. Here's a pic of a Red-tailed Hawk from Wikipedia:




Well, guess what?! He (or someone like him) came back today and I ran through the house like a crazy woman to get my camera. I don't have a zoom lens so this was the best I could do standing with my camera and head stuck outside the screen door of the porch. I was afraid to go onto the deck, lest he fly off. He was keeping a close watch on the ground under the two feeders that hang from the deck. I guess he doesn't care for squirrel because he was ignoring one that was munching on seed under the feeder. (CLICK ON THE PIC AND IT WILL ENLARGE.)



So, what kind of hawk is this guy? Is he the same one/kind that came calling before? Do you still think he's a Red-tailed Hawk? Here's a list of the hawks that are prevalent in the state of Georgia, per answer.com:

•Red-tailed Hawks,
•Red Shouldered Hawks,
•Cooper's Hawks,
•Sharp-shinned Hawks,
•Broad Wing Hawks,
•Marsh Hawks (in winter)

I am just so in awe of these birds...totally in awe. Isn't it interesting that I always see hawks in my backyard in January. Maybe they are in my backyard all year but the leaves hide them from my view. Or, perhaps food is more scarce right now so he has to be bolder and come closer to homes than he'd like.

Can't wait to hear what you think he is! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment