Friday 28 January 2011

Installing Hard Wood Floors in Real Time: Final for Today

With the sanding complete...


It was time to evaluate the stain. The wood I always have installed is white oak (not red oak) so I can get a nice amber or yellow sunshine color. Last time a mix of equal parts Natural and Puritan Pine stain worked well to get the color I like. (These are Minwax colors, I believe.) This is the view standing in the hallway looking into the room. The Natural and PP combo is on the left and natural alone is on the right.




Look how different they look standing inside the room looking toward the door with the windows to my back. The direction of the grain of the wood really makes a difference. I went with just the natural stain because the floors always naturally amber a bit over time. We didn't want to go too dark or amber right now.


Unfortunately, they finished staining and putting on the first coat of polyurethane and sealed up the door before I realized it, so I missed getting a finished picture. I can unseal the door tomorrow morning and walk on it by 1:00 PM, so I'll share some pics tomorrow. Final coats of poly will go down on Monday and Tuesday. If you missed them, you can view Part 1, HERE and Part 2, HERE and Part 3, HERE.





Mr. Max listened to all the noise today but never acted scared. Brave kitty. :) Hope you enjoyed following the process of having wood flooring installed. See you tomorrow with a final photo. Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment