Sunday 23 January 2011

Pottery Barn Bedford Home Office Renovation: Welcome to the 105th Metamorphosis Monday!

Hi Everyone! Happy Met Monday!

I hope your weekend has been fun and relaxing! I've made a bit of headway in the "bedroom to home office" project I've been working on. Last Met Monday, I left you with my son's old bedroom looking like this (see photo below.) I had worked about 6-7 hours straight taking apart his whole bedroom...you can see the "Before" in THIS post. Stop by that "Before" post if you have a sec...you'll see what I was facing when I first started. It was truly overwhelming!

I was able (barely) to move all the furniture by myself except for this huge bookcase and my son's desk/hutch. A very nice gentleman, who has delivered furniture to my home in the past, came by with his son. They moved those last two huge pieces downstairs to storage for me. I spent this past week carrying a million and one boxes of "stuff" downstairs and cleaning out the closet. I didn't have the nerve to show you guys a "before" shot of the closet...but let's just say, it was a challenge! Exhausting and a challenge...but finally done!




I began striping off the wallpaper. After having been up for around 18-20 years now, it was beginning to peel up at the seams. You can see how much I was able to remove without using any special tools or solutions. The backing of the paper stayed on the wall, but much of the top surface came off.



This weekend it was time to get serious about getting the wallpaper down. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about "messing up the carpet" with dripping water or solutions since the carpet is being removed next Friday and hardwood flooring will be going in. That will leave just two rooms still carpeted in this house, the guest room and the upstairs family room. I love the look and low-maintenance of hardwood flooring so gradually I've been "hardwooding" the whole house.




The remaining top part of the wall paper came down pretty easily. Does that silhouette on the left look like Kermit, the frog to you? Maybe, it's Big Bird? ;) Or, perhaps I've just been sniffing wallpaper remover for too long! ;)




I sponged plain ole water over the top of the paper and it seeped down under the edge...you can see that in this pic.




Then it just peeled right off.




During my work today, I had an unannounced visit from the Building Inspector. He thoroughly checked everything out. I waited nervously to see if I would be allowed to continue.




His parting words: "Keep calm and carry on." Yes Sir, Mr. Max...uhhh, I mean, Mr. Inspector.




I'm eager to get this room completed. The view out the windows will be nice as I work each day. Try to imagine it with leaves on the trees. :) The new office is just above the deck with the pergola, and you can see the roof of the screened-in porch from here. It will be a reminder that all work and no play makes this girl a very dull blogger. ;)




So here's how the room currently looks...empty of furniture and the top layer of the wallpaper all gone. The bottom layer is still there, so guess what I'll be doing all this week. Yep, more sponging, scraping and peeling. Fortunately, there's a t.v. connection in here, so I may bring my son's t.v. back in to keep me company while I work.




I hope to get the backing of the paper down by Friday...the day the hardwood flooring will be installed. It will get a coat of poly that day...then they will come back Monday to apply a second coat and Tuesday to apply a third coat.




The mural is still here. But once the flooring is in and I can arrange the office furniture...




...and try out some of the rugs I'm auditioning, I think I'll know what direction to go with the paint. There are a bunch of paint chips in that bag on the floor. I'm not ruling anything out at this point.




In the meantime, my guest room looks like this...




It's housing most of the Pottery Barn, Bedford office furniture, including the top of the corner desk that's hidden/protected under that throw. I have one piece that's on back order to mid February, if the PB site is correct. I'm hoping it will come sooner than that...keeping fingers crossed.




If you'd like to follow the progress of this room, I have a little "To Do" list on the sidebar. So even if I'm not posting about the room, you'll have an idea what's gotten done during the week. I hope you're enjoying following along...I'm having a blast sharing the process with you! :)


Metamorphosis Monday:
If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday: Please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top, into the "url" box for the picture linky. You'll also need to put your e-mail address in, but don't worry, it will not be visible to anyone.

If you'd like to include the MM button in your post, just copy and paste the Met Monday button to your computer or grab the html code from underneath the MM logo under the "Join a Blog Party" header at the top of this blog.

Please include a link in your MM post back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch. Why is this important? When you include a link back to BNOTP, it ensures your regular readers/visitors will find the other awesome "Before and Afters" linked for this Metamorphosis Monday. If everyone links back, this maximizes the visits for all participants.

Please DO NOT type in all caps...it spreads the links waaaay out. Thanks! :-)

Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course. :-)


Little Reminder: Thank-you for linking back to this post so the regular visitors to your blog will find all your fellow Blogger's posts linked here for this Met Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment