Friday 14 January 2011

Own a Prop from Your Favorite Movie

Many years ago, I was out antiquing and came across a somewhat ordinary looking secretary. I had one day hoped to buy a secretary for our house, so it caught my eye. It wasn't quite what I'd had in mind but what really grabbed my attention was the label attached to the sales ticket stating it had been used in the movie, Bull Durham. I was intrigued.



Though, Bull Durham wasn't necessarily a favorite movie of mine, how cool would it be to watch a movie in your family room while sitting next to a secretary that was showing on the screen at that very moment. If I'm remembering correctly, the secretary was only priced around $1,200 but that might as well have been $10,000 at the time. It was way out of my budget.

Periodically, I would stop back by the shop and I always looked to see if the secretary was still there. Eventually, the price began to come down and when it got down to around $800, I started thinking more seriously about the possibility of taking it home. One Saturday, months after I had first come across it, my husband was available to go with me to see it. Wouldn't you know it, it was gone. I still think about that secretary from time to time and I've always regretted not getting to own a little bit of movie history.

Do you have a favorite movie...one that you love to watch over and over? How would you like to own a prop or piece of furniture that was used in the making of your favorite movie or television show? Well, guess what? You can!

I came across the most interesting site recently called: Newel: The Ultimate Destination for Antiques. Newel rents out furniture and decorative pieces to the film, television and theatre industries and once they are no longer needed, some become available for purchase.

Here are just three examples of the many props they have available from lots of your favorite movies and shows:

Are you a fan of the movie, Julie and Julia? How about the movie, Sex and The City?




This French Louis XVI salon appeared in both of those movies and could be yours for $12,000.


Ad from Newel.com)



Never miss an episode of Ugly Betty? Do you love the movies, All the Kings Men and Too Big to Fail?




This painting appeared in all of those.


(Ad from Newel.com)



For about the price of a luxury vehicle, you could own a gorgeous secretary that "starred" in: You've Got Mail and Mona Lisa Smile.



This same secretary was also used in: The Manchurian Candidate, Perfect Stranger, Masquerade, Boardwalk Empire, Too Big to Fail and A Perfect Murder.


(Ad from Newel.com)

There are hundreds more props from your favorite movies at Newel. It was kind of fun seeing what they are going for these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment