Sunday 6 December 2009

Preserving and Storing Old Linens... Welcome to the 47th Metamorphosis Monday and a Give-a-Way!

This has been such a fun and busy weekend! Yesterday, I joined three friends for an historic home tour and today I worked as a docent in one of the homes on the tour. Do you go on any Christmas home tours in your area? I saw a lot of pretty tablescapes and decorations while on the tour. In some homes, I was allowed to take pics...I'm looking forward to sharing those with you sometime soon!

Today, I have a beautiful and practical "Before and After" to share with you for this Metamorphosis Monday. Quite a long time ago, I created a tablescape for Tablescape Thursday using beautiful place mats and glassware jackets crocheted by my Mom back in 1956.


As you might imagine, this set holds tremendous sentimental value for me, but I've never been quite sure how I should store it for safekeeping.


I've been keeping them, along with several other pieces my Mom crocheted, in plastic bags that matelasse' coverlets came in. Apparently, that is a very bad idea and can lead to yellowing since linens/fabrics need to breathe.


Recently I discovered there is a much safer, practical and beautiful way to store my much loved and oft used linens. Anne, Proprietor of Queen Anne's Place, sent me the loveliest gift recently, a beautiful Treasure & Linen Keeper Portfolio. Have you ever seen a linen keeper?


I had never heard of a linen keeper before...what a wonderful idea! Anne told me she created the linen keeper "after seeing a similar heirloom keepsake from the 50's that belonged to one of my friend's Mother years ago."

So, what is a Treasure & Linen Keeper® Portfolio? It's a 14" x 20" portfolio with a 2.5 inch expandable flexible spine which allows for storage of multiple items. They are acid free and are perfect for storing place mats, napkins, table runners, and tablecloths, helping to greatly reduce winkling or yellowing. How wonderful to pull out a tablecloth and find it in the same, neatly pressed condition, as when you stored it away! :-) They are also excellent for keeping important documents, art work, and over-sized photos safe and free from creases or damage.

Anne even personalizes each Linen Keeper...perfect for gift giving at Christmastime or for birthdays, baby or wedding showers.


My linen keeper arrived with a card detailing the many ways it can be used. (Click to enlarge pic)


Good-bye, plastic bags...


Hello, gorgeous linen keeper!


Anne has generously offered to give one of these beautiful linen keepers to a BNOTP follower! :-) How do you enter the Give-a-Way drawing? To be entered, click HERE to read the details.



Today is also Mosiac Monday with Mary whose beautiful blog is Little Red House. Be sure to visit Mary to see lots of beautiful mosiacs!

Looking forward to seeing all your "Before and Afters."




If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday, please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. If you aren't sure how to obtain your permalink or have any questions about using Mr. Linky for this post, just click HERE for detailed instructions.

Don't forget to copy and paste the Met Monday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Met Monday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Metamorphosis Monday.

Please be sure to link back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch, so your fellow bloggers who are participating today, will get lots of visits, as well.

Please do not add your link below until your Met Monday post is actually published to your blog.

Fabulous "Before and Afters" await your visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment