Tuesday 28 December 2010

An Interview with Bunny Williams

As we continue visiting all the fabulous Before and Afters posted for yesterday's Met Monday, I wanted to share a great post my friend, Vanna, alerted me to recently. Buzz, who blogs at, The Buzz on Antiques, interviewed one of my very favorite designers, Bunny Williams. It wasn't your typical interview...far from it. Buzz, besides being amazingly knowledgeable about antiques, has a fun sense of humor, so you can just imagine some of the questions he chose to ask.

Reading the interview, I discovered Bunny is down to earth, quick with a comeback and very good natured. She answered all Buzz's questions and some were a bit provoking, to say the least. It's an entertaining interview and Bunny was every bit as awesome as I already thought she was. Her answers were just what I would have expected, having read her wonderful book, An Affair with a House. The interview makes you love Bunny Williams and her decorating/design style even more.

I loved her thoughts about how we should just gradually "refresh" our home over the years as our taste in furnishings and decorating change/evolve. I think that's what most of us do anyway so it's nice to hear a highly respected decorator recommend it...as opposed to redoing the whole house periodically. Let me know what you think once you have read the interview. It really is a fun and interesting interview...certainly not like any I have ever read before.

Bunny has a new book out called, Bunny Williams' Scrapbook for Living.


Wonder how long I can hold out before I cave and order it? After perusing it at Amazon, I don't think it will be long.


Shopping at A Classy Flea: A Vintage Kelvinator:

On a totally unrelated note, I have to share some pics of a stove I came across recently while on a shopping trip to A Classy Flea. Check this bad boy out:

Have you ever heard of a Kelvinator?




Apparently this one dates back to the 1940's...and how about that color? Aqua is all the rage now...it seems like everyone is decorating with this color these days. Okay, maybe not in appliances, but it is still kind of cool.




See that lid? Can you guess what it is?




This stove has a built-in soup tureen! How cool is that?! Have you ever seen a stove with its own soup tureen? Looks like it was put to good use, too. Update: Several folks have left comments here and on Facebook saying this was also called a deep well cooker. Apparently, you could even fry in it. That was probably safer than frying up on top of the stove and less hot grease splatters, too.




And here are the cockpit dials if you choose to pilot this machine...



This must be a timer. Wonder if it automatically turns the oven off once the time is up? Or, perhaps it operates the soup tureen since it's right above the tureen. Ummm, now where did I put that instruction manual???




So, how much do you think this stove would cost today? I was STUNNED when I found out how much vintage stoves are going for online! Let's just say, the ones I found online should come with an engine, tires and a steering wheel...and you should be able to drive it to the grocery store and start cooking your meal on the way back home! Seriously! We're talking in the $7,000-$21,000 range (pun intended) for some vintage stoves! Wow!



Here's what it's going for at A Classy Flea...if it's still there. Not bad compared to what I found online.



Yay, for A Classy Flea! Oh, I have A Classy Flea shopping trip to share with you sometime soon. It's time we did a little antiquing/thrifting trip, isn't it? :)


Little Reminder...Blogging Bloopers Party:
This Saturday, January 1st, 2011, BNOTP will be hosting the first ever "Blogging Bloopers" Party and you'll get to see some of the bloopers I've made (and sometimes hid) during 2010. Last January, I created THIS post showing some of my Blogging Bloopers from 2009. I asked if you guys had some to share...and the comments left on that post were really funny! :)

Here's a little party button I created in case you would like a reminder for your sidebar. Hope you'll come join in the fun this Saturday!

Between Naps On The Porch




Can't wait to hear what you thought about the Bunny Williams interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment