Tuesday 24 August 2010

The Endearing Art of Silhouette

Hi Everyone! Hope your day was grand! Have you had a chance to visit the "Before and Afters" linked for this week's Met Monday? If not, scroll down to the post below and enjoy! I have to tell you, y'all make me feel lazy when I see all the wonderful and creative things you are doing in your home!


The Endearing Art of Silhouette:

Today, I thought I'd share a special moment in time...21 years ago. One morning I read in the newspaper (remember those?) that a renown silhouettist by the name of K. Housel Bogue, was coming to Macy's to cut silhouette portraits. She would only be here for a couple of days and appointments were booking fast.

I had previously had a silhouette of my son done by another artist and was disappointed when the final product didn't look anything like my sweet boy. So, in nervous anticipation, I drove to Macy's where Mrs. Bogue worked her magic. I was both thrilled and stunned...she beautifully captured my son's countenance and I would be forever grateful.




He was little...for a moment. And when I need to remember, I pause in my entry and look longingly at that sweet, sweet face.



Twenty-one years later, Mrs. Bogue is still working her magic. You can read about it HERE and can even arrange to have your own special someone's silhouette portrait cut. Apparently, she can even create a silhouette from a photograph. Silhouette cutting is almost a lost art and some fear it will disappear entirely one day due to the advent of computer generated images. I hope not because there's something very special about a hand-cut silhouette.

No comments:

Post a Comment