Monday 22 December 2008

Welcome to the 18th Tablescape Tuesday!

Christmas is only two days away...hard to believe! This is an exciting Tablescape Tuesday for me because two very special ladies, who are also dear friends of mine, have graciously agreed to let me post some of their wonderful holiday tablescapes. You most likely know them from their beautiful postings on Rate My Space...they are Carol, Cedwards55 and Linda, Mom of a German Shorthair .

When I was "chatting" with Carol recently, she told me, "When I entertain it's never a formal occasion. I love to cook but I'm a totally casual person, and so is my home. The furniture was all purchased from flea markets and the table was a steal from a showroom that was going out of business. I do love my creamy white furniture. It's kind of like vanilla ice cream. You can never have too much."

I asked Carol about the wonderful cabinet in her dining room. She said, "I found it at a darling little boutique in Champaign, IL called the Checkered Moon. The shop is every bit as cute as the name. It was a steal and although it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I knew I could make it work.

"I covered foam-core board with batting and the Buffalo Check fabric. I hid the tacks where I attached it to the doors with gimp. The piece on top of the cabinet is actually a piece of architectural salvage. I'm sure it was under an eve of some old building. That piece, and the cornice over the jelly cupboard, both came from Third Sunday Market (flea market) in Bloomington, IL. I bought both pieces the same day, from the same vendor and was able to make a deal for $50 for the lot!"

I love the the adorable Christmas village displayed on the bottom shelf!

Carol continued, "The jelly cupboard (shown below) is from a little shop in Monticello, IL called Steeple Gallery. It was about $150 and the chairs are from the same shop. They were covered in a hideous fabric and were $25 each. I did my dining room furniture for under $1000."


I just love the palladian (arched) mirror...this room has so many neat architectural features! And look at the wonderful "deer" centerpiece on this tablescape! Carol shared, "The deer hurricane came from a local garden center. I use coffee beans in it and when the cranberry candle burns.... the fragrance is yummy! This place setting is just a collection of things that I've had for years. The plates are from Target...


...and the water goblets are from Hobby Lobby."


When describing the pretty things used in her tablescape, Carol said, "The only thing of any value is my mother's silver. If my house was burning and the boys were already out, I'd grab that silver. My parents were married during the Depression and I know that many people must have sacrificed in order to "gift" that wedding silver to my parents. I really do treasure it."
Carol told me, "The shutters were from a trip to New Orleans pre-Katrina. Found them on Magazine Street. They were shipped back to IL. I love the crunchy peely paint on them. I'm sure they have a story to tell."

I love the color of Carol's dining room walls, but Carol told me she is getting ready to make some changes. She said, "the paint color is Benjamin Moore's, Rhubarb. It's a coral red. I love it but it's going to be changed in February. I'm going for a latte color with brown and cream toile drapery." Doesn't that sound beautiful? If there's toile involved, I already know I'm going to love it! Maybe I can convince Carol to share a few pics with us then, too. :-)

Carol, thanks so much for inviting us into your beautiful dining room and for sharing this wonderful table setting with us on this Tablescape Tuesday! :-)

But were not done yet! I have the treat of sharing another wonderful home and table with you today! Linda (Mom of a German Shorthair on RMS) has invited us into her beautiful home, as well. And just look at our "Welcome"! Linda says, "The lantern has 3 candy-cane candles representing Jim, Belle and myself...to "WELCOME" family 'n friends."
What an inviting entrance...I can't wait to go in and see Linda's beautiful table all set for a holiday dinner!

Can you see what china Linda has used for this table setting? I'll give you a hint...it is made by Spode and it involves wildlife...
The pattern is Woodland, one of my favorites...one of Linda's, too.


Linda shared details on how she prepared this lovely table. She said, "This (see pic below) is the "Ladies'" table-setting. It features green Villeroy & Boch glass chargers, "girly-gold" lap napkins, included with our regular, over sized, monogrammed napkins and antique silver napkin rings that I've "found" or received as gifts from family and/or friends. Each one is different and from various countries. I used a more casual flatware than my sterling, as I thought this "went" better with this particular setting/feel."

Linda continued, "This is the "Men's'" setting, featuring feather wreaths, used as "napkin rings" (they like the "MANNNNLY" things, right?) and old horn forks & knives I found in Europe, mixed with the other flatware...again for a less formal feel, but cohesive with the ladies' settings." I just love how much thought Linda puts into making her guests feel special.


You can see the cute feather napkin rings a little better in this picture. Linda shared that the quail place cards are from Pottery Barn and the antique, wood dessert forks are from Europe. She told me, "They were pretty inexpensive at a flea market, and I just LOVED their character."


Look at the darling "dog" pitcher on Linda's buffet. Linda says it's a favorite of hers.

Linda found this wonderful deer wine cooler/bucket at Pottery Barn.


About the platter pictured below, Linda shared, "The silver turkey platter and "special fork" was my Great Grandma's and it was always much loved and used. I haven't polished it in years...I like it just the way it is, memories and all."


Linda made me smile, saying "after dinner and before dessert, we'll go to the living room to relax. This is the chair that is reserved FOR ME after dinner (and USUALLY, O-N-L-Y then!)"


Linda sends this magical Christmas "card" out to everyone...



The following blogs have beautiful tablescapes awaiting your visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment