Sunday 17 April 2011

Scary Hang-Ups: Welcome to the 117th Metamorphosis Monday!

How was your weekend? Did you have gorgeous weather and spend some time outdoors gardening or playing? I've been potting up a few tomatoes on the deck and doing a little cleaning after all our recent storms. I love trees but they sure do create a mess on the decks.

If you've been following my office metamorphosis you may be surprised to hear: I finally hung the craft organizer and bulletin board. Yay! Did you notice they were checked off the "To Do" list on my sidebar?

I had been delaying hanging them because they are extremely heavy and I knew it would be hard to do by myself. I thought I'd ask the contractor who will be installing my crown molding and chandelier (once I find one) if he would also hang the craft organizer/wrapping center and bulletin board. But since I have no idea how long it will take to find a tole chandelier I truly love, I decided to go for it and hang them myself.

Is it ok if I give myself a pat on the back? It was NOT easy and I was a nervous wreck doing it alone, but I'm happy to report I didn't break anything and I think I even got them level! Yay! Ok, enough jabbering, come check 'em out.

Here's the craft organizer/wrapping center I shared in THIS post.



Since it weighs a TON, I removed everything I could before I got started. See the metal strip running across the top/back of the organizer? That is part of the hanging mechanism.



Here's how the organizer looked minus the wrapping paper rods and the drawers.



A few of these pics will be a little dark because it was already dark outside when I got to work. The organizer came with this long metal strip that you mount on the wall. The metal strip you saw on the back of the organizer fits on top of it when you hang it.

The first thing I had to do was to secure the metal hanging strip to the wall. I really lucked out because the section of wall where I wanted to mount the organizer had two studs. I used the stud screws that came with the organizer as well as two of the toggle bolts that were also included. This baby "ain't" going nowhere!

The directions (which weren't very clear) said to first insert a stud screw through one of the holes along the strip. Next, you mark where you'll want to use the toggle bolts, then let the strip hang down like you see in this pic while you install the toggle bolts in the wall.



In the pic below you can see where the studs were and where I had to use toggle bolts. Since I knew I'd be pulling paper off this organizer and open and closing the drawers, I wanted to make sure it stayed on the wall. Doesn't it look crooked in this pic?



The organizer came with this tiny, 1 inch long, bubble level and it worked like a charm. Since I was hanging this by myself, I couldn't hold the organizer against the wall and stand back to eye it at the same time. So I relied completely on the level to tell me if I had the metal hanging strip level or not. There was a groove in the metal strip where the bubble level slid in. I probably would have hung it crooked without the level because when it indicated it was level, it actually looked crooked to me since I was standing right up against it. I decided to trust it and I'm glad I did.



Here's how the organizer looks on the wall with the shutters closed. Now I know what you're thinking...it will be in the way of folding the shutters back. I knew it would be somewhat in the way, but I felt it would still work fine. The reason I really wanted it mounted there is because I plan to do any future present wrapping right right where you see Mr. Max's kitty bed. He will have to scoot over come present wrapping time. :)

Remember the scissors in the drawer I shared in the Behind the Scenes post. I've been planning this from the very start when I first discovered the craft organizer online at Pottery Barn. That's one of the reasons I arranged the furniture in this position and why I purchased these particular pieces from the Pottery Barn "Bedford" line. You may remember in a previous post I mentioned I had plans for that end of the desk. Well, this was it. There is method to my madness...well, some of the time. ;)



I measured and knew it would just fit in this spot. I wish there was a tad more wall space, but this will work fine.



I'm not sure why, but this piece appears to have been discontinued on the Pottery Barn site. Here's the link...maybe they will carry it again sometime. Update: I just checked and now it's saying "Sold Out." Before it was saying, "No longer available." So, for those folks who e-mailed asking me about it, keep checking the PB site. Perhaps they will be getting more in. It obviously sold well.



The drawer on the left is holding spare rolls of tape for the tape dispenser. For now, the one on the right is housing colored markers...that may change.



Here's how it looks when the shutters are opened back. Whenever I need to use the organizer to wrap a gift, I'll just tilt the shutters a little to the left.



But wait...there's more! Yep, once I got my hanging bug on, I decided to keep going. Remember the bulletin board I bought a while back?



It has doors you can close to hide the "mess" anytime you want a cleaner look for your office. I was SO intimidated at the thought of hanging it by myself, I actually weighed it before I got started. It weighs 24 pounds, just in case you were wondering. :) Did I mention that it's HEAVY for lifting high in the air? Was I insane to attempt this alone? Don't answer that!



Here's how it looks above the desk. The hanging mechanism was just two small "keyhole" metal things on the back...one on each side. The width of the piece (28 1/2 inches) made it impossible to hang it from two studs. Fortunately, the stud I used on the left side was just where I needed it to be to allow for centering the bulletin board over my work space. I had to use a toggle bolt on the other side.



The really tricky part was hanging this ALONE. Above my desk. Without dropping it. My measurements had to exactly dead-on for the keyholes to line up with the screws. Fortunately, I measured correctly, but it was almost impossible getting those two, tiny keyhole slots positioned perfectly over the little screw heads sticking out of the wall. And the toggle bolt screw kept scooting back into the wall so I couldn't "catch it" on the keyhole slot on the back of the bulletin board.

Oh. My. Stars. This was no fun...but I got it done. Surprisingly, nothing was dented, scratched, broken or destroyed in the process. I do have a few choice bruises on my arms and legs, though.



Here's how it looks open.



It looks better open than it does closed, I think.



I was seriously second guessing myself yesterday before I hung it. I drove over to Ballard Designs to look at these (which will also hang horizontally.) You can find these online.



These are online, too. I was worried about the weight of the shuttered board on the wall and how high it was going to be. But most of all, I was worried that a shuttered front might not look right with my shuttered windows. I was doing some serious second guessing. I finally decided I would go ahead and hang it and if I didn't like it, I could always buy another board later and sell this one on eBay or Craig's list.



So, what do you think? Do I keep it? Does it look OK? Be honest. If you hate it, break it to me gently. My arms are still sore! ;)

I've only put a couple of things on it so far. I'm sure it will be covered in no time.



I think it needs one of these...right smack in the center. ;)



So, here's a final shot of the room with both the craft organizer and bulletin board in place.



And with the bulletin board open, which is the way it will stay most of the time.



UPDATE: I think I know what I'm going to do. It's funny how seeing something in a picture helps you to really see what is bugging you. It's the height I don't like. I'm thinking I should buy one of those little TVs...a really small one and put it on the other side of the desk. Then I can lower this bulletin board to the same height as the windows. I'll just have to scoot the monitor on the left forward a little each time I close the right door, which won't be very often.

If you'd like to see how the office looked prior to the start of the Office Makeover, click HERE and HERE.

Looking forward to your Before and Afters!


Metamorphosis Monday: If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday: Please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top, into the "url" box for InLinkz.
If you'd like to include the MM button in your post, just copy and paste the Met Monday button to your computer or grab the html code from underneath the MM logo under the "Join a Blog Party" header at the top of this blog.

Please include a link in your MM post back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch. Why is this important? When you include a link back to BNOTP, it ensures your regular readers/visitors will find the other awesome "Before and Afters" linked for this Metamorphosis Monday. If everyone links back, this maximizes the visits for all participants. Please DO NOT type in all caps...it spreads the links waaaay out. Thanks! :-)

Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course. :-)


Welcome! Thanks for coming to the party! Please don't forget to link back to this week's Metamorphosis Monday party in your post, so your readers will find the party and your fellow bloggers and friends will receive lots of visits, too. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment