Tuesday 7 July 2009

Festival of Flowers: Historic Home Tour and Garden Tour

This post is picture intensive, but light on wording...so enjoy! I've been traveling a good bit this summer, so I'm sharing some pics from one of those trips. This post has something in it for everyone...gardening, a tablescape and even an historic home tour! :-)

How many of you gardeners out there have heard of Park Seed? Yep, I see all those heads nodding! If you garden, you know Park Seed. Did you know they also own Wayside Gardens and recently purchased Jackson and Perkins? I didn't know this until a few weekends ago when I visited Greenwood, SC with a friend, for a huge Festival of Flowers. Park Seed is located in Greenwood and opens up their gates for tours during this event.

Before we head into Park Seed, take a look at this "flower bed" that was out on one of the main roads through Greenwood. :-)



Cool, huh? :-)


Ok, let's go check out Park Seed...
Here's one of the areas where they give you a sampling of the many, many things they grow and sell...

I didn't take a lot of pics 'cause, Y'all...it was 180 degrees outside this day...

and humidity was 150%. Ok, maybe that's a slight exaggeration...but only a slight one! If you glance back two photos up, you'll see a lady using an umbrella. I did, too. It's the only time in my life I've carried an umbrella when it wasn't raining!

Last pic for Park Seed...now let's go on the garden tour!

Enjoy...





Here's that tablescape I promised...











Have you ever seen a hydrangea this color of purple? I gasped when I saw it! Unfortunately, the owner didn't know the name of it.

Another one in the same yard...





Look how this guy is sort of camouflaged! :-) You can see right through part of his wings! Does anyone know the name of this little bug? I'm guessing he's a dragonfly...but what kind? I just managed to get this pic before he flew off. Update: We think this little guy is a Common Whitetail Male.



Now you know I can't go to a new town without searching out the historic homes! Here's a little sampling...look at those darling shutters! I would love to add two more dormers to this house, but it is adorable, isn't it?



Love the swoopy roof line with the front door that's both an arch and a pointy peak. The peak mimics the peak of the roof. Cute, cute!


Love the red door and the cute side porch...and look, their magnolia is in bloom! :-)





I think it's a rule...if you have a huge front porch, you must hang big Boston Ferns in all the openings...love it!

I saved this house for last. It looks like it came right out of a fairy tale...There was an old lady who lived in a shoe. :-) Click on the pic to enlarge further...the garden is wonderful, too! If this house is this adorable on the outside, can you just imagine what the inside must be like! :-)

Thanks for coming along on my weekend trip to Greenwood! This was my idea of the perfect day...getting to tour amazing gardens and a sidewalk tour of some beautiful historic homes. The day even included a cute garden tablescape. :-)

In the next week or so, I'll share all the amazing topiaries we saw spread throughout the down town area. Here are two pics to wet your appetite. :-)
Here's the baby...wait to you see MOM!

Yep, that's a steering wheel...you're gonna love the Jeep it's in! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment