Monday 8 September 2008

Welcome to the 3rd Tablescape Tuesday!

While on a little shopping trip a few months back, I found the red candlesticks shown below. I loved the bold red color and accents of iron. I've been asked to always share the source of the pieces I use in my tablescapes, so I will list all that information in mice type at the end of each tablescapes posting.


I wasn't exactly sure how I would use them. Sometimes my inspiration for a tablescape will come from the pattern or the colors in the china itself. But occasionally, I trip over a little treasure (like the candlesticks) and they just jump right into my buggy and insist I take them home. When that happens, I'm hoping when I get home they will work with some of the china I already have.

Upon arriving home, I was happy to discover I did have some china with a bold red color in the pattern. It was Villeroy and Boch china that I had purchased around 20 years ago...the pattern is called Melina.

As I began putting the table together, I really liked the look and contrast of the more rustic candlesticks with the dressier, bone china. I decided to go with that theme, mixing rustic elements, along with the more formal.


You truly do not have to spend a lot of money to create a pretty, even enchanting, tablescape. Often you already have just what you need on display in the various rooms in your own home. Shop the house! If you love that adorable bunny in the guest room, chances are you are going to love it in the center of your Easter dinner table...and so will your dinner guests. Be bold, use the unexpected...your heart will tell you if it works or if you need something else.

Hope you enjoy viewing the tablescape below. But mostly, I hope it will embolden you to use the pretties you already have and love, in a new way. The tablescapes you can dream up are truly endless!



Bird's nest just fascinate me...I've collected several from my yard over the years, of course only after the birds were done using them. :-) I think they are just amazing...little works of art. I can't begin to understand how a little bird can make something so intricate and perfect. I decided to try them on the table, and when I did, I liked the way they looked against the red of the candlesticks. Of course, you can purchase faux bird's nest almost anywhere these days.

I remembered having seen some little bird napkin rings on a previous trip to Pier 1, which is only about 2 miles from my home. So after a short trip over to Pier 1...I had everything I needed for this tablescape.



The rustic gardening tools on this flower pot, went well with the iron elements in the candlesticks. I like the way the ivy heart-shaped topiary in the center...pulled in another main color from the china.


Years ago, I bought these iron accent pieces. In my shopping trip through the house, I stole them from the family room book shelves...thought they worked well with the iron accents in the candlesticks.


Close-up of cranberry salt cellar...



Whenever I purchase china, I love to use an accent plate in a coordinating color, as the salad plate. That frees up the actual salad plates for use as dessert plates. I think it makes for a much more interesting table if the salad plate is different from the dinner plate.


Another little iron accent piece...found this one in the guest bedroom when I shopped the house...


I took some greenery from the magnolia tree in my front yard, as well as a few of the flowers. Since it was toward the end of the blooming period, and the tree only had a few blossoms left, I incorporated a few silk magnolia flowers I already had into the tablescape, too.


Since I had kind of a nature theme going here, I couldn't resist using this little piece. What could be under there? :-) Grab the little bee on top and lift the lid to see...


Bug bites! You can find these in the cookie isle of your grocery store.


A different look with crystal glasses instead of tea cups and an iron dragonfly...




Here's a great book containing many beautiful tablescapes
...

Thanks for stopping by! For more inspiring tablescapes, please stop by the blogs listed at the top of this posting!

China is Villeroy & Boch, pattern Melina; Red Ruffled salad plates came from Home Goods earlier in the summer; Sterling is Towle, King Richard; Crystal is Araglin by Waterford; Candlesticks came from Hobby Lobby earlier in the summer; Chargers from Horchow online; Napkin Rings are from Pier 1 during the summer; Silverplate piece with dome lid was a find at A Classy Flea (see last Friday's post for info. about the Flea.


Beautiful tables are awaiting your visit at the following locations:

Angelic Accents http://angelicaccents.blogspot.com/

Between Naps on the Porch http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

Designs By Gollum http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/

Dish Diva aka Kay http://dishdivaakakay.blogspot.com/

Note Songs http://notesongs.blogspot.com/

Oak Rise Cottage http://oakrisecottage.blogspot.com/

Ribbonwood Cottage http://ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com/

Sweet Nothings http://sweetnothingsbj.blogspot.com/

Thinkin' of Home http://thinkinofhome.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment