Friday 12 September 2008

Celebrating Pink Saturday with a Pink Tablescape...

One day, while shopping for china on eBay, I found a set of Homer Laughlin china with a pretty floral pattern. I bought six, 5-pc place settings and a serving bowl for around $36, including shipping...gotta love that eBay!


Several months later, while out antiquing, I came across another set of china made by International. I loved the pattern, Glenwood, which has a wide pink band with a beautiful gardenia in the center.

A little light bulb went off and I thought, maybe, just maybe, the two china patterns would work together since they both contained a lot of that beautiful color, Pink. (I later found out Homer Laughlin also produced the Glenwood pattern.) I got a great deal that day, 27 pieces of Glenwood for around $14. As I was checking out with the china, the people in line behind me were trying to buy it from me. I've never had that happen in a store! :-) Once home, I checked good ole eBay and found a few more pieces of Glenwood to complete what I needed.

I've always wanted to try using two different china patterns in a tablesetting. Finding these two sets at such reasonable prices, gave me the opportunity to play a little bit. In the pic below, the salad plate and bread plate are the floral Homer Laughlin...the pink banded china is the International Glenwood china.

With the soup bowl out of the way, you can see the Homer Lauglin salad plate a little better.

Here's a fun, elegant way to make sugar available for coffee or tea...a sugar scuttle.
I love how the little scoop stores right on the back of the scuttle. Doesn't this just beat a regular ole sugar bowl, any day. :-)

Centerpiece...this guy looks familiar, doesn't he? :-)

Here's another look, using the Glenwood pattern as the bread plate this time. I had fun seeing just how many layers I could make. I created four different layers here...they are, from the top down: Homer Laughlin fruit bowl, International Glenwood soup bowl, Homer Laughlin salad plate and Glenwood dinner plate.

The next two pics show two different looks...the only thing that changes is the bread plate. Which bread plate do you like best?

I also have the Homer Lauglin cups and saucers...so that could be another possible variation...

The four layers again, minus the napkin...

Let's peel away the layers...first we'll take away the fruit bowl...

Then the soup bowl...

And finally the salad plate...

A while back, I came across these two little swan ashtrays and I bought them to use as salt cellars. Remember the swans I posted yesterday. If they are still there when I go back to A Classy Flea, I think I may buy them to go with these below.
Below are the two I saw recently at A Classy Flea. I like how they are a little different...don't you think it's more interesting than if all the salt cellars matched perfectly?

I do like the way they look with this tablescape...what do you think?

Tea party on the porch...and you are invited!




Info. you may want to know: Chinas shown above are: Homer Laughlin,floral pattern name is unknown and International, pattern is Glenwood. Homer Lauglin also made the Glenwood pattern. Sterling is Towle, King Richard. Lace chargers are from Horchow online. Candle sticks came from A Classy Flea. Sugar scuttle purchased on eBay...I still see them on there all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment