Tuesday 2 September 2008

For the Love of Books, Part I


I have a serious love of books. Now, take one part "love of books" and stir in a heaping cup of "love of decorating", and you have yourself one large decorating book souffle...uh, I mean...one large collection of decorating books. 


And if you tip-toed into my study and peeked into my Someday Notebook...you know...the one that held the dream of the front porch for so long, you would find another dream...that of a home library. The seldom used "formal" living room in my home has been begging me to install built-in book shelves down one long wall and on either side of it's fireplace. Someday...I say, someday. ~~~SIGH~~~


But for now, I must be content to tuck my books into whatever nook and cranny I can find. I thought today I'd share some of my favorites books with you. However, I feel it my solemn duty to warn you, once this book fetish/addiction thing takes hold, it will have you in its grip for an undetermined amount of time. But seriously, can you think of a better addiction? 


If you love classic, traditional style, you will love any of Mary Carol Garrity's books. Since the photo above was taken, I've purchased three more of her books: Nell Hill's Christmas at Home, Nell Hill's Decorating Secrets and Nell Hill's Feather You Nest. If you live anywhere near Atchison, Kansas, you have probably already been inside her wonderful home furnishings store, called Nell Hill's...and if so, I am officially green with envy! If not, what are you waiting for?


I love antiques and the books below are pure eye candy for this girl's sweet tooth.




Bringing Tuscany Home is by Frances Mayes, the same author who wrote Under the Tuscan Sun. You may remember the movie, bearing the same title.
Bunny Williams is one of my very favorite authors...it's simple...she writes a book...me wants it! :-) An Affair with a House is a delight to read...I love the way Mrs. Williams describes her long and involved love affair with her home. And you thought you were the only one! :-)

Winter House by Charlotte Moss is the equivalent of comfort food in the book world...or at least it is for me. The picture of her home on page 19 showing her garland draped front door, surrounded by glowing lanterns and candlelight, always makes my heart skip a few beats. With fall upon us and winter waiting in the wings, this would be an excellent choice for one of those long, chilly nights ahead.




Amazon begins it's description of Hunt Country Style this way, "Wood-paneled libraries, sumptuously appointed interiors, mudrooms, paddocks, and stables... " Yep, that about covers it! Gorgeous book, loaded with lots of interesting history covering the tradition of the hunt country and it's gorgeous homes.




Have you ever wondered what the homes of authors, William Faulkner, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, and Herman Melville looked like...and not just on the outside, but inside, too? Well, it's all in American Writers at Home, as well as photos of the homes of seventeen more famous authors.
And in Writers' Houses, you can view the homes of Mark Twain, Virginia Woolf, William Butler Yeats, Ernest Hemingway, and Dylan Thomas, as well as the homes of an additional sixteen well-loved writers. It positively gave me chills, seeing the actual desk where William Faulkner sat, when he wrote so many of his most famous works.




If you love English Country style, you will love anything written about or by the English design firm of Colefax and Fowler. 'Nuf said!




In Adventures with Old Houses, the author, Richard Jenrette, who also happens to be a former executive of a well-known Wall Street investment firm, details his life's dedication to collecting and restoring six magnificent, historic U.S. homes. Interestingly, the forward is written by Prince Charles.



More great English Country design books:





Here's one for all you Blue and White fans...I know my hand is in the air!


Hope you enjoyed a peek into my decorating library. And I'd love it if you would leave a comment with the names of some of your favorite decorating/design books!

No comments:

Post a Comment