Tuesday 20 April 2010

A Wedding Tale: A Bride, A Groom and An Apothecary Jar

Once upon a time, a Blogger in Blogland (wonder who that could be) received a correspondence in her e-mail box. The subject line said: "semi-URGENT."

The e-mail read:
March 16, 2010
"Perhaps you can help... I am in a bit of trouble, and maybe you can help, (hopefully you can help!!) Let me try to explain. I am to get married in two weeks and prior to this email, (a month or two ago) my fiancee purchased some very unique apothecary jars for the centerpieces for our tables--to the total of 15 of them, all alike, They are to be filled with a candle and some other items, much like you have on your blog,

Unfortunately, four weeks ago, when transporting them to my home for safe keeping--the bottom of the box gave out, and I dropped two of them-shattering ALL over into a million pieces. I have looked up and down and sideways for another to match, and have been able to purchase one from ebay but the likely hood another will show up is very slim... I have contacted the manufacturer, thinking I could purchase one from them directly and they are no longer producing that one. They checked all their vendors and noone carries that particular style.

My fianceƩ is heartbroken, she wanted them all to match and I am trying to replace them as fast as I can, but having no luck, I fear my time is running out and my search is coming to an unsuccessful end, and I want everything to be perfect for our big day and after all the time she put into finding the perfect ones--I feel awful for dropping them, and really want to replace them. I happened to search again this morning through google images, figuring maybe an online store might have them pictured and I happened to come across your photos from your blog. and to my surprise you had the VEry same one i was looking for!!! It was unbelievable!!!

I am a bit ashamed I must admit, writing you in hopes that I can appeal to your generosity and compassion for a groom that is in some trouble. But I have not other opportunities left and figured I would give you a try.... Would you ever consider selling that apothecary jar- just the glass jar you have pictured in your Valentines day tablescape photo, and seaside tablescape. I will meet ANY price you make, just say the word. You are my last chance to replace this apothecary jar before the wedding, and I just want things to be perfect for her/our day.

Many thanks in advance. I hope you can assist me."



The Blogger replied:
May 16, 2010
"Certainly, you can have it...consider it a wedding gift. :-) I'm not sure where I bought it...I'm thinking Marshalls about a year or so ago, so I would imagine they would be kind of hard to find. Where do you need it sent?"


The Groom replied:
March 16, 2010
"HOW WONDERFUL!!!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!! She will be thrilled when I tell her...
My address is: XXXXXX, Illinois
Are you sure I cannot send you something for it ??? We will be sure to send you photos of the big day. Thanks so much again!"



The Blogger replied:
March 16, 2010
"No, no need to pay me for it...I rarely use it and I'm glad to help you guys out. I'll just let you cover the cost of shipping. I want to make sure it gets to you in one piece...it is very delicate and fragile...I know I don't need to tell you that. ;-)"


After a few more e-mail exchanges during which the Blogger sent a pic of the apothecary jar to make sure it was the one the groom needed...



The groom replied,
March 17, 2010
"That looks awfully close if its not it! Such a pretty set table...you do nice work, would be fun to go over to your house for dinner!
Please let me know how much it costs, and I will gladly reimburse you . Thanks!"



There were still a few questions regarding if the apothecary jar was the correct height...

The Groom wrote:
March 17, 2010
"Sorry to bother again, know you are at work, but before I count my chickens...LOL
it is about 14 inches correct? --no need for a response now, whenever you get a chance is fine."



The Blogger wrote:
March 17, 2010
"You're welcome! I'll get it shipped tomorrow...I know you need it quickly. I'll e-mail you the size this evening though, just so you'll know."


Later that evening, the Blogger wrote again:
May 17, 2010
"I just measured the apothecary jar and it is 20 inches tall by about 8-8 1/2 wide at its widest part. Is that the size you need?"


The Groom replied:
March 17, 2010
"Yours will do fine mine is 17" but we will relocate it to the farthest part of the room, noone will be the wiser... Thanks so much for checking and for helping me/us out !!!"


The Blogger wrote:
March 17, 2010
"You're welcome! I'll get it packaged up this evening and mailed in the morning...when is it that you need it?"


The Groom replied:
March 17, 2010
"Sometime next week is doable."


The Blogger replied:
March 17, 2010
"Ok...so if I mail it tomorrow that should be in plenty of time...just wanted to make sure."


The next day, the Blogger wrote:
March 18, 2010
"I just shipped the apothecary jar. I did not want to attempt to package it myself since it's so big and so delicate, so I took it to UPS and let them handle the packaging. They used a very large box, bubble wrap and lots of p-nuts...he said there's no way it can possibly break in transit the way he wrapped it. It wasn't cheap. Yikes! I've never shipped anything where I let someone else do the packaging, so I wasn't sure how much it would cost. I knew how important it was that it arrived in one piece for you...so hope you aren't too shocked by the shipping cost.

The shipping cost was as follows:
Packing services: $22.50
Ground shipping: $19.42
Total: $41.92
He said it would arrive by Monday evening. Let me know if you would like for me to fax the receipt to you...happy to do that. The tracking number on the receipt is: XXXXXXXXXXXX."



The Groom wrote:
March 18, 2010
"Ends justifies the means in this situation, :) I will put the money in the mail by the weeks end if you don't mind. Thanks so much!"


The Blogger wrote:
March 18, 2010
"You are very welcome! :-)"


About 3 days after the date the apothecary jar was to arrive, the Blogger had not heard from the Groom. Tracking showed the package had been delivered several days before. The Blogger wondered, did it arrive ok? Was it in one piece? Was it the correct size?

The Blogger wrote the Groom:
March 25, 2010
"Hi,
I saw from tracking that the jar arrived. Is the size going to work for you?"



(Silence)


A couple of weeks went by, the Blogger heard nothing. The Blogger began to worry, as she tends to do. What if it had all just been a scam...a way to get the Blogger's address...which UPS had put on the return label. Yikes!

The Blogger decided to e-mail the Groom once more:
April 8, 2010
"Hi,
I never heard back from you about the apothecary jar...I saw that it arrived ok. Hope your wedding was perfect!"



(Silence)

April 16, 2010
Still worrying that it had all just been a scam, the Blogger called the business shown in the signature line of the Groom's e-mails, and simply asked if the Groom worked there. The Blogger was told "Yes, but in another division." The Blogger was given Groom's phone number and extension. The Blogger did not call the number she was given. She just wanted to confirm it had not been a scam and felt very relieved that the e-mails apparently had been real and not an email scam.


April 20, 2010
The Blogger feels a little disappointed. She never heard from the Groom again...not once. She doesn't know if the apothecary jar arrived in one piece and she never received reimbursement for the packaging and shipping.

Perhaps there is a very good reason she has not ever heard from the Groom again: A month long honeymoon in the South of France? A called-off wedding and the Groom is too despondent to write? The Blogger just hopes both Groom and Bride are ok and nothing tragic has happened. You just wonder...

Would Blogger do it again if asked? Yes, without hesitation. It was the right thing to do and this Blogger truly hopes Bride and Groom are safe and sound...and live happily ever after! :-)

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment