Sunday 11 April 2010

A Chandelier for the Bedroom! Welcome to the 65th Metamorphosis Monday!

Metamorphosis Monday:
A few weeks ago, I shared this pic of the fixture that has been hanging above my bed for the past 20 years...to my dismay. This was one sad ceiling fan. It was made of some really awful fake wood, so shortly after we moved in, I painted it hoping I could make it "go away." Didn't work, I could still see it.



Well, it only took me 20 years but I have finally said good-bye to the ceiling fan and hello to a whole new look! :-)


I found this chandelier several months ago at Queen of Hearts, an antique store in Alpharetta, Georgia. I only paid $467.50 for it...not bad for a chandelier of this size. :-)

It cost $120 to have the arms tightened up, for two vintage crystals to replace two it was missing and to have it cleaned. David, the owner of the shop, Flourish, estimated the chandelier to be around 50 years old. He gave me good news saying the quality of the crystals was really excellent. That was great to hear since I was just going on instinct when I bought it. The repairs/cleaning put the cost of the chandelier at $587.50 which is awesome for a chandelier of this size. When I've been out antiquing, I've seen similar fixtures approaching the $2,000 range. Installation was $80...took a little over an hour and half to install. It's installed with a dimmer switch so the lighting level can be easily adjusted.


I decided to not go with a medallion on the ceiling. I kept it simple with a silver canopy...


From directly underneath...just for fun...


Here's what it looked like underneath after the install. Actually, I'd already cleaned up a lot of the mess before I thought to take this pic. For the install, I laid a blanket on the matelasse and my installer and I went down to the basement and brought up my son's old Brio board. Did your kids play with the Brio train sets? Years ago, we took a piece of plywood and painted areas of land and water on the board for the trains to travel over. Since my son is 26, this board hasn't seen any use in many years. It gave a nice flat service on which to place the step ladder.



Now, I just need to get the ceiling repainted...it's long overdue. Never ending...the joys of home ownership. :-)




If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday, please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. If you aren't sure how to obtain your permalink or have any questions about using Mr. Linky for this post, just click HERE for detailed instructions.

Don't forget to copy and paste the Met Monday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Met Monday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Metamorphosis Monday.

Please be sure to link back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch, so your fellow bloggers who are participating today, will get lots of visits, as well.

Please do not add your link below until your Met Monday post is actually published to your blog.

Fabulous "Before and Afters" await your visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment