Wednesday 11 November 2009

Problem Staircase Walls...

I did a little post showing my problem stairway wall. Now that I have a better camera that takes in more "area," I thought I would take a few more pics to give you a little better idea of how it looks...just in case you have this same awkward stairway wall in your home and need a few ideas. :-) This post has been linked to Melissa's Gallery Wall Party at The Inspired Room. Thanks for hosting Melissa!

When you walk in my front door, this is more or less the view...


As you come on into the entry...


...you get a view up the stairway.


The view looking across the entry...


I had decided to cover this long stairway wall with lots of old family photos, but I knew I didn't have quite enough to really fill the wall...


So, I started thinking about what would be nice to intersperse with the pictures. I promise these aren't as dusty as they may appear. A lot of the mirrors are the type that are permanently dusty looking...made to look old...that's my story...and I am definitely sticking to it! ;-)


I love mirrors and wall shelves....


So I headed off to Bombay outlet, which is unfortunately, now closed.



I bought a couple more wall shelves (I already had two) and a whole bunch of mirrors in varying sizes, including the large one you see. I spent about $120 that day, which really isn't too expensive to cover an area this size.


As I uploaded these pics for this post, I noticed how the mirrors reflect some of the decor in the entry...a happy accident. :-)


One last shot looking up... I sure would love to do some picture molding up this stairway wall...underneath that handrail. And, I'd love to replace the handrail with a lot nicer looking one. Maybe one day...but for now it will do.

Oh, one tip...if you decide to do this to your stairway, start the first row of pics/mirrors/wall shelves about 2 inches higher up from the handrail than I did. I started a tad too low, so it's easy to bump them when coming down if you aren't careful. Other than that, this has worked very well, here.

Oh...one more tip :-) Have you discovered Ook, yet? Click HERE for their website. A wallpaper hanger told me about these...you can find them at The Home Depot. They are great for hanging pictures, mirrors, (no matter how heavy) without putting big holes in the wall and without having to find a stud.


Hope this gives you some ideas for your problem staircase wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment