Wednesday 31 March 2010

More About Music ♣

I love music. I have ever since I can remember. I started playing the piano at age 3. My mom's sister, Angie, was a piano teacher, and of course, my mom being as smart as she is knew that one day we would appreciate fine music.

I struggled through my piano years until I was about 9-10 years of age. I hated sitting down to practice. It was NOT what I wanted to do for 30 minutes a day. Especially living on a farm, there were way better things to do outside than sit at a lousy piano for what seemed like hours on end.


My parents got my brother and I a very nice upright piano. It sat in the living room. I watched my aunt and my mother play beautifully and it just was not clicking with me. Looking back now, I think all that was getting in my way was my "LITTLE" attitude.

It wasn't but about a year later that I loved playing the piano. I felt that things were making sense as far as reading the music is concerned. I learned my flashcards and knew where the notes were on the piano without having to look down.

I really began to enjoy playing the piano due to popular sheet music of songs that you heard on the radio. I play by ear, and so if I know what it sounds like, I can play it on the piano. That was a struggle for my aunt in teaching me, for the was the exact opposite. She knows her notes and can make something sound exquisite without having previously heard the piece. That also caused some of my earlier stated frustrations.

Now I love playing the piano. I like more contemporary piano. I love to play songs by paul cardall, john schmidt, david tolk and many others. I just like pretty songs. For Christmas Marcos kindly got me a Jack's Mannequin Everything In Transit book. I have been playing those songs and falling in love with the piano and mcmahon's lovely music all over again.

Currently listening to: i'm content with losing - underoathJust a side note: i HATE classical music. ☺

It took a lot of practice to get to where I am now, but I wouldn't have traded it for the world.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment