Saturday 6 March 2010

Guest Room Addition! Welcome to the 60th Metamorphosis Monday!

My metamorphosis this week is in my Guest room. Here's the way it normally looks.




Do you see the change?




On our recent shopping trip to A Classy Flea, I saw this painted secretary. It was priced at $329...very tempting, but I resisted.




But it kept calling to me...it said it wanted to come live at my house. I told it I wasn't sure I had a place for it. It said, "Don't worry, you'll find the perfect spot." It's charming details wormed their way deep into my heart.




From the top of its head....



...to its ball and claw feet...resistance was futile.




I went back on Saturday morning...holding my breath as I walked all the way through the store. Would it still be there?



Yes, it was still there...waiting patiently for me to come back and take it home. I was thrilled to see it had been reduced overnight to $295. The dealer reduced the price a bit more to $285.

It has the most amazing glass panels...they are like moguls on a ski slope. Each glass panel has 9 bubbles or waves of rolling glass. I tried to capture it in these photos...very hard to do.




Today I played and played, shopping the house for just the right treasures with which to fill it. It called for well-worn and well-loved pieces. This old silver tea set is a family piece. It is close to 100 years old and each piece is engraved with the letter H. It was used every single day. The silverplate is completely worn away in spots, so I rarely polish it. When I do polish it, it always tarnishes again very quickly. I've decided I kind of like it in its tarnished dress..




A photo of my Mom...lovingly creased and worn where my Dad carried it in his wallet through WWII.








The butter dish from the tea set makes a wonderful place to store stamps and address labels.




While the butter knife makes a great letter opener.




The French books were my MILs from when she attended Georgia College in Milledgeville, Georgia over 60 years ago. They are very special. They have little notes in the margin, along with her name and dormitory. I found a postcard tucked inside...written to her from a friend. It's dated December 12, 1940 and her friend was inviting her to a progressive dinner party. I wonder if she went and if she had a good time.







A little cubby hole...perfect for storing away a special treasure for safe keeping.




Before:




After: Meant to be? :-)




Looking forward to seeing all your "Before and Afters!"



Metamorphosis Monday is an opportunity to show a "Before and After" project in your home. It can be as elaborate as a whole new room addition or as simple as re-doing your decor with the changing of the seasons. Maybe you have a "trash to treasure" project to share...we'd love to see it! If you don't have a "Before" pic to share, describe as best you can what the room or item looked like prior to the renovation.

If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday, please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. If you aren't sure how to obtain your permalink or have any questions about using Mr. Linky for this post, just click HERE for detailed instructions.

Don't forget to copy and paste the Met Monday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Met Monday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Metamorphosis Monday.

Please be sure to link back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch, so your fellow bloggers who are participating today, will get lots of visits, as well.

Please do not add your link below until your Met Monday post is actually published to your blog.

Fabulous "Before and Afters" await your visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment