Sunday 26 September 2010

Welcome Fall With an Autumn Basket for Your Front Door! Welcome to the 89th Metamorphosis Monday!

I need your help today...I can't see the forest for the trees...so tell me what you think. I have a pretty fall wreath I sometimes place on my door...but this year I thought I'd try a basket instead. Here's how my front door has looked all summer. (Joining in Rhoda's Fall Door party HERE!)




Nice, but time to put this look away and welcome in the fall season...




I found this large basket recently while out antiquing and I loved the warm, rich color of the basket...it just said autumn leaves, cozy fires in the fireplace, and warm, woolly mittens. Yep...that's what it said...so I couldn't leave it there...it had to come home with me.




I bought a bunch of fall silk flowers...more than I figured I would need...because it's a HUGE basket. I knew it would take a lot to fill it. I even bought a few pumpkins/squash thingies in case I wanted to work them into the arrangement.




I stuffed newspapers into the very bottom...and added styrofoam on top. I stuck the stems of the silk flowers into the styrofoam. I left the tags on...just in case I didn't like the look. I can cut them off later if I decide to keep them all. Silk flowers are soooo expensive, so I have to make sure.




Next, I put newspaper in around the stems to help hold them...and wedged in more styrofoam. These plants were pretty heavy and needed a lot of support.




I added floral moss from Dollar Tree on top.




Ready for the reveal? Be honest...tell me if it just looks too big.









Someone mentioned about removing the white flowers...I tend to agree. But they are part of the whole sunflower bunch...connected together. So maybe I'll return that bunch for a different bunch. The white flowers do tend to stand out a bit against all the fall colors....not sure I like that. What do you think?

Update: I took a look at them and in person they don't seem so white. I'm not sure why they look so white in the pics. I may leave them since they aren't as white in person. :)
















Here's another alternative...a basket I used last year on one of the doors going out to the screened-in porch.




Nah...not crazy about that green basket against the red door. I think I'll use this back on the screened-in porch again this year.




So, is the basket too large? Should I return all the silk flowers and go back to my fall wreath from last year?




Or will this work?




Addition: I just reworked it some...made it taller and less wide. Ann...a reader of BNOTP, just emailed and said a trick is to use chicken wire down inside the basket...I like that idea!

Oh, I should have mentioned...I'm going to try to make pumpkin topiaries this next week. Wish me luck. Anyone know how to get those babies to all stand up interconnected? I want them to last at least until Halloween so I'm kind of reluctant to go poking holes in them...to attach them with wire or dowels. I'd love to pull out the existing topiaries (temporarily) and reuse the urns I already have...but I can't remove the topiaries from the pots...see THIS disaster post :( and you'll know why. So, I'll need to buy new urns/pots for my pumpkin topiaries. Home Depot or Lowes...here I come.




This post has been linked to Sarah, Outdoor Spaces Party at Thrifty Decor Chick.  Thanks, Sarah!







Metamorphosis Monday:
If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday: Please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top, into the "url" box for the picture linky. You'll also need to put your e-mail address in, but don't worry, it will not be visible to anyone.

I'd love it if you would include the MM button in your post, to make it easy for others to find you MM post. To do that, just copy and paste the Met Monday button to your computer or grab the html code from underneath the MM logo on my sidebar.

Please include a link in your MM post back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch. Why is this important? When you include a link back to BNOTP, it ensures your regular readers/visitors will find the other awesome "Before and Afters" linked for this Metamorphosis Monday. If everyone links back, this maximizes the visits for all participants.

Please do not add your link below, until your MM post is actually published to your blog. Please DO NOT type in all caps...it spreads the links waaaay out. Thanks! :-)

Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment