Saturday 13 February 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

I've received several comments/e-mails asking about the cake recipe I used to make the little heart shaped cakes featured in last week's Tablescape Thursday. I used a recipe given to me by my MIL many years ago. It's a basic cake recipe called a 1234 Cake, and it's the same cake recipe I use when I make a coconut cake each year at Christmastime. You'll find the recipe in this previous post, HERE.



I found my heart pan at the Base Exchange on a local Air Force base, but I've also seen them in Michaels. They are made by Wilton and HERE is a link to the Wilton site where you can order one.


If you have a Michaels near your home, it would be less expensive to buy it there using one of their 40% off coupons that are sometimes available in the local paper. I'm not sure if they have the coupons on their website or not...would be worth checking, though. If you have seen the pan in other stores while out shopping, please feel free to leave a comment saying where you've seen them available.

I always grease my pans with shortening...I used Crisco. It was really tricky getting it down into all the grooves...but the cakes came out very easily so it was worth the effort. A cooking spray would probably work...but I just prefer to use the regular stuff from the can.


Next, I sprinkled them with sifted, powdered sugar and added Raspberry Preserves to the center where the little cakes are hollowed out. They were yummy! :-)

See you tonight for Met Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment