Friday 14 November 2008

Dogs, Gardens, and Guns...not necessarily in that order...

Have you ever done a double take? Doesn't happen often, right? Several months ago, I was sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office with one of my clients. It was a long wait and I began to flip through some of the magazines that were lying around on various tables. Eventually we were called back to an examining room where we got the opportunity to do some more...you guessed it...waiting. Again, I glanced around hoping to find something to read. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a magazine that I had never seen before...and I did a double take! What did that just say???

Garden and WHAT?

I picked up the magazine. HUH? Garden and GUN? What kind of combination is that? Had my attention! I begin to flip through the magazine and I found article after article that I truly enjoyed.

So when I got home, I looked it up online and decided to subscribe. Garden and Gun has become one of my favorite magazines.
Garden and Gun describes the magazine this way on their website: "G&G is a southern lifestyle magazine that's all about the magic of the New South — the sporting culture, the food, the music, the art, the literature, the people, and the ideas. It espouses a strong conservation ethic that grows out of its connection to the land, and it reveals the beauty of the South as no magazine ever has."

What other magazine would you open and find articles like this? :-)


There are articles about art, music, literature, southern authors, golfing, hunting, fishing, travel, resorts...
fashion, gardening, preservation of habitat and animal/plant species, and...how to make a mean Mint Julep.

But this posting isn't a sales ad for Garden and Gun. It's my long, rambling southern way of showing you a most interesting photograph. I've been busting to share this pic with all of you out there in blogland, ever since I first saw it.

Apparently, when you subscribe to a magazine called Garden and Gun, you end up on the mailing list for a catalog called Orvis. Guess that makes sense, since Orvis sells the things you need to go hunting, fishing, traveling, etc... Look closely at the pic below...it was inside an Orvis catalog I recently received...

Here's what the caption reads: "French knife makers created ways to lie face down and save their backs...rather than sit hunched over all day...to hone knives on their sharpening wheels. The knife makers brought their dogs to the shop to keep them company and to keep them warm. Dozorme factory...circa 1900's."

Do you see the two doggies snuggled down between their master's legs...is that cute or what? Must have been a bit chilly in that factory, huh?


Does anyone else subscribe to or read Garden and Gun? Did anyone else know that French knife makers used to work lying down with doggies snoozing between their legs? :-)

Tuesday is Tablescape Tuesday...just click on the pink TT logo in my sidebar for all the details...hope you will join us!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment