Sunday 31 August 2008

The Problem Stairway Wall and a Sweet Award...



For many years after moving into my current home, I occasionally pondered the decorating dilemma of the long, seemingly endless wall that runs the length of the main stairway of my home. Eventually, a creaky little cob-webbed door opened in my befuddled brain, and I recalled a visit to a friend's home many years before. I could see it now, a stairway wall, much shorter than mine...but covered in a large number of pictures with the frames almost touching each other...but not quite. It definitely made a dramatic impression and I remembered loving the way it looked!
I decided to try something along the same lines, but I knew it would be different. I planned to use a collection of very old family portraits/photographs, many of which are enclosed in wonderful, antique framing. As I planned and schemed, I realized I didn't have quite enough pictures to cover the main focal area seen, as one climbed or descended the stairway. I came up with a solution I thought I would share with you today...perhaps it will inspire or give you some new ideas for your problem wall.


View as you enter through the front door...



Below, old family portraits and photographs are mixed with mirrors and wall shelves. Also, resting on each of the wall shelves is a family photo...some of which are so small they would have been lost if hung on the wall.


Most of the wall shelves and mirrors came from a Ballard's Outlet that used to be near my home, but unfortunately, has now closed. :-( The cost for this display, not counting the family photographs, was somewhere around $150...not too bad a price to take care of a problem area this large. :-)

A tip: One thing I would do differently, if I were to do this again, would be to start the the lower row a few inches higher up from the hand rail. At present, it's a little easy to bump into a picture as your hand glides down the handrail.

View from top of stairway, looking down...



Take a look at some of the picture displays and wall arrangements I found at Southern Accents, online. Notice the impact multiple pics make as a opposed to hanging one really large picture or painting.

Sorry the photos are a bit blurry. Unfortunately, enlarging them in order to give you a better view, blurs the pictures just a little.












Here's a great book I recently found...it's full of creative ways to display your pictures and photos...



Another little tip: When I hang light to medium weight objects, like photos or paintings, I often hang them first on a straight pin...just until I am sure I like where the painting is going to be. If I change my mind, the hole made by a straight pin is barely visible. If I do like the placement, I replace the straight pin with a nail, unless of course, it is light enough that a straight pin is all that is needed.

When hanging more substantial pieces, I love using an Ook. Their design allows you to hold a heavy picture or mirror with the smallest of nails, thus, making the tinest hole in the wall...I love 'em. You can find Ooks at Home Depot, Linens and Things, Bed, Bath and Beyond and Ace Hardware stores.


Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to comment and share your picture hanging tips.


I am happy and very humbled to announce that I recently received a beautiful award from Tootsie, http://tootsietime.blogspot.com/. Making it even more special is the fact it's my very FIRST award, ever! Thank you , Glenda, (Tootsie) for this award!



Now, the rules state I must choose 7 bloggers, whose blog I also, love...then pass this award along to them. I love so very many blogs; this is the hardest part. I tried to pick blogs/bloggers I love to visit and who have not already received this lovely...here are my choices:


http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/


http://www.ratemyfavoritespaces.com/


http://terriedj.blogspot.com/


http://dearlittleredhouse.blogspot.com/


http://southerngirlrambling.blogspot.com/


http://bella1104.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-do-i-look-new-name-giveaway.html


http://deardaisycottage.typepad.com/

If the above great bloggers choose, they may now pass this same award to 7 blogs they enjoy visiting, as well. :-) Now, I'm off to let each of these lovely folks know they have been chosen for this wonderful award. Thanks again, Tootsie! You made my day!<

No comments:

Post a Comment