Wednesday 20 August 2008

The "Some Day" Porch

For years I had been carrying around a page I'd torn from an old issue of Southern Homes Magazine. The page showed a picture of a front porch I really, really liked. Periodically, I pulled it out, drooled on it for while, then wiped it off and stuck it back in my "some day" notebook. "Some day" finally arrived last October and construction began on the porch.

It's not a huge porch, or a fancy porch...but it is a place where friends and family are welcomed and sheltered whenever they visit my home. It's a place where I can "play" with the changing of the seasons, something I could never do on my old "stoop" of a porch, that so badly lacked shelter from the elements.

Do you have a "some day" book or file...one that's filled with wrinkled, sometimes drooled-upon, photos...that represent the home renovation dreams you carry in your head and in your heart? Sometimes those dreams do finally come true. :-)

This a before pic taken after the old brick stoop had been removed and the concrete foundation had been poured. The old pediment was very pretty, but it was beginning to badly deteriorate on the far left end...note the large hole.



A new, larger brick porch has been built. Through this whole process, I was determined to enjoy the holidays...note the fall wreath in the midst of the chaos.



Close-up the herringbone pattern I chose...


The old pediment is gone and it's beginning to look a little like the inspiration porch. The shrubs were removed on either side since the new porch is several feet wider than the previous brick stoop.


A view from the road...


It's almost Christmas. The old shiny brass lanterns are gone and the new ones have been installed. The columns, my favorite part, are finally in place. I was determined to not let a little construction stand in the way of Christmas. (LOL) The painters got busy painting the exterior shortly after Christmas, as the weather allowed.


Close up of old, badly tarnished and pitted brass lanterns...


Close-up of the new 'French Quarter' lanterns from Quoizel's European Collection...


A tease...are you ready for the reveal? :-)


Note the hanging lantern in the center of the porch. The inspiration photo had a hanging lantern, also, and it was one of the features I really loved. Trim was painted a bright white, shutters, black and the door is Benjamin Moore 'Heritage Red'.




4th of July...let the decorating begin! :-)



WELCOME HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment